News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Someone has finally outdone the NASA 'designed in imperial, built in metric'* cock-up:

Failed satellite programmed with 'wrong co-ordinates'

28 December 2017 

The loss of a multi-million pound weather mapping satellite was due to programming errors, the Russian deputy prime minister has said.

Dmitry Rogozin said Meteor-M had been programmed for take-off from a different space station.

Speaking to Russian state TV, he blamed "human error".

"The rocket was programmed as if it was taking off from Baikonur," he told the Rossyia 24 TV channel.

In fact the rocket was actually taking off from new base Vostochny, in the east of the country.

:blink:

Full item:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42502571

* or something like that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2017, 07:34:12 PM
Someone has finally outdone the NASA 'designed in imperial, built in metric'* cock-up:

Failed satellite programmed with 'wrong co-ordinates'

28 December 2017 

The loss of a multi-million pound weather mapping satellite was due to programming errors, the Russian deputy prime minister has said.

Dmitry Rogozin said Meteor-M had been programmed for take-off from a different space station.

Speaking to Russian state TV, he blamed "human error".

"The rocket was programmed as if it was taking off from Baikonur," he told the Rossyia 24 TV channel.

In fact the rocket was actually taking off from new base Vostochny, in the east of the country.

:blink:

Full item:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42502571

* or something like that.

Not only that, the Russians are using pounds instead of rubles.  Dumbasses.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Someone was killed last night due to a swatting prank.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I had heard that Steve Perry of Journey was the son of a GI father and Korean mother, and that he had attended Seoul American High School, my alma mater's arch rival.  So I googled.  I was wrong, but his actual ethnicity is a little surprising.  Feel free to guess.

[spoiler]Portagee!![/spoiler]

Ed Anger

Journey: Ruined.

Thanks for making a shitty day evem more Shitty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2017, 01:37:04 AM
Someone was killed last night due to a swatting prank.

The culprit has been arrested.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 30, 2017, 08:42:04 PM

:(

Don't stop believin'.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Woooo!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Too goddamned bad.  Get off the rink.  FAITHFULLY IS ON

HVC

FYI tom hanks of Portuguese descent too. Wilson!!!!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Googled and found out are also porkchops:

Joe Perry of Aerosmith ( real name Anthony Joseph Pereira, which is super Portuguese)
David Lee Roth (Portuguese grandmother)
Katy Perry. Even though Perry isn't her real last name she still has Portuguese in her.
Sean Paul

We're everywhere!

CountDeMoney

The United Colors of Eggplant.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on December 30, 2017, 09:23:49 PM
Googled and found out are also porkchops:

Joe Perry of Aerosmith ( real name Anthony Joseph Pereira, which is super Portuguese)
David Lee Roth (Portuguese grandmother)
Katy Perry. Even though Perry isn't her real last name she still has Portuguese in her.
Sean Paul

We're everywhere!

Two of them with New Christian roots!  :pope:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"