News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on November 09, 2017, 06:01:55 PM
In Southern Jutland they use 'mojn', their dialect is supposedly very close to Frisian.

It is, I have witnessed a conversation between a Dane and a Frisian, each speaking their own language.
I think Frisian is actually closer to Danish than to Dutch.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2017, 07:37:28 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:17:24 PM
"Bieber bets me 10 quatloos even Trump will not pull his password proposal.  Hey Beeb, fucking concede this bet already."

I don't even remember this bet, Yi. What's the deal?

Yeah, I#ve been meaning to ask about that.

What was our bet, and what was the termsÉÉÉ

Fucking multilingual settings on the keyboard... <_<

shift+6 will do ?
shift + , < will do '

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on November 10, 2017, 04:57:22 AM
In Southern Jutland they use 'mojn', their dialect is supposedly very close to Frisian.

It is, I have witnessed a conversation between a Dane and a Frisian, each speaking their own language.

I wonder how a geordie would do there.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2017, 09:12:36 AM

Northern Jutes and some Scots share some language, but I don't think Geordies are understood anywhere. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2017, 09:12:36 AM

They usually get shitfaced and soil themselves in public over here.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2017, 03:06:47 AM
No, or at least only in so far as you currently ask for some dinner and someone brings you chicken and a side salad. I've never had that happen. :P

It was just an example garbon, feel free to use whatever they might bring you to eat for dinner in your foul corner of the world :P

QuoteHere's a good summary. That map is with reference to tea as the evening meal but those first two are meals (food + tea as a drink).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)

They really do me no favors by putting this picture next to the explanation:

It makes it look like they are having tea and jam for dinner.

QuoteIn Japanese gohan means both rice and a meal (morning gohan, noon gohan, evening gohan).
You know the Brits and tea....

That is not the same at all!

1. Rice is something you might eat for a meal at least.

2. Not even the Brits use the word tea to describe every meal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2017, 10:30:59 AM
It was just an example garbon, feel free to use whatever they might bring you to eat for dinner in your foul corner of the world :P

Might point was that I generally would ask for something specific for dinner. I don't have anyone to whom I say 'Bring me my dinner' :P

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2017, 10:30:59 AM
They really do me no favors by putting this picture next to the explanation:

That's a picture of cream tea like the caption says...so not tea as evening meal. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Here's a bit from the lovely Kate Fox in her 'Watching The English' book:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608173/So-CLASS-YOU-A-wickedly-funny-perceptive-new-book-answer-hinges-favourite-marmalade-buy-M-S.html

QuoteDinner/tea: Nothing wrong with this word: it's only a working-class hallmark if you use it to refer to the midday meal, which should be called 'lunch'. Calling your evening meal 'tea' is also a working-class indicator: the higher echelons call this meal dinner or supper. But the uppers and upper-middles use the term supper much more than the middles and lower-middles, rarely describing an evening meal as ­dinner unless it's a particularly ­formal occasion — and never, ever using the term dinner party.

For the higher classes, tea is taken at around four o'clock, and consists of tea and cakes or scones (which they pronounce with a short o), and perhaps little sandwiches. The lower classes call this afternoon tea.

All of which can pose a few ­problems for foreign visitors: if you're invited to dinner, should you turn up at midday or in the evening? Does 'come for tea' mean four o'clock or seven o'clock? To be safe, you have to ask what time you're expected. The answer will help you to place your hosts on the social scale.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Then there's the colonial usage, where "high tea" refers to what garb's Wikipedia article describes as "afternoon tea" (scones, jam, cucumber sandwiches, etc served on the three layered plate holding contraption) a usually taken at a fancy location (like the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, or the Empress in Victoria, BC).

I guess the "high" part is used in the "fancy" or " classy" sense.

crazy canuck

Mrs. CC and her friends enjoy High Tea once in a while.  Apparently the Hotel Vancouver does a good job of it  :)

When friends from the UK ask if we want to come for tea it usually means a late lunch - which normally goes on into the evening depending on the transition from drinking tea so something alcoholic  :D

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2017, 11:11:05 AM
Then there's the colonial usage, where "high tea" refers to what garb's Wikipedia article describes as "afternoon tea" (scones, jam, cucumber sandwiches, etc served on the three layered plate holding contraption) a usually taken at a fancy location (like the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, or the Empress in Victoria, BC).

So here's a bit more about high tea and the usage of the term.

https://afternoontea.co.uk/information/what-is-high-tea/

I took my employee out for afternoon tea at The Ritz when she got her first promotion.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2017, 11:35:03 AM

I took my employee out for afternoon tea at The Ritz when she got her first promotion.

Was Garbon 'puttin on the Ritz'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

My mind has gone to a odd place. I'm considering how one word can fundamentally alter a sentence.
You're shit= insult.
You're THE shit=compliment.
You're A lush= insult.
You're lush=compliment.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I guess the word "not" will really blow your mind.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 10, 2017, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2017, 11:35:03 AM

Was Garbon 'puttin on the Ritz'

One of the few times I've worn a tie in the past few years as it was required dress. -_-