News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Besides the fact we were suppose to get only about 45% or less coverage it was moot as raining here. :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Savonarola

We got about 88% here; without the glasses you couldn't really tell.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

We got 97% and until the last minute the sun was obscured by clouds. People were getting disappointed and frustrated, and I was proud of myself for saying, "We are so lucky! We were supposed to only get a 97% solar eclipse, but instead we are getting a 100% cumulus eclipse!" (when I am killed by an angry mob at some point, I know I had it coming)

Then the sun came out and I realized:

a) the sun is really bright. Without the glasses it was still blinding.
b) the sun is really bright. Even with 97% coverage it was still relatively light out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Yeah, that really disappointed me when I was a kid and we had a partial eclipse sometime in the mid 80s.  I wanted to see darkness, animals freaking out, cavemen throwing spears at the eclipse, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 02:39:48 PM
Yeah, that really disappointed me when I was a kid and we had a partial eclipse sometime in the mid 80s.  I wanted to see darkness, animals freaking out, cavemen throwing spears at the eclipse, etc.

Talking to people who made the trip to see the total eclipse, it wasn't until it got to 100% that it really got dark and was cool to see. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

We've called off the war with the Phoenicians.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on August 21, 2017, 02:59:43 PM

Talking to people who made the trip to see the total eclipse, it wasn't until it got to 100% that it really got dark and was cool to see.

Cal wants to give them wedgies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 12:45:24 PM
On my 13 hour drive back from Florida last Saturday I ran across a Canadian XM station that had country music in French.  Did not know that was a thing.
Check this out bro.  Country music is surprisingly popular in Australia.  I was watching a video the other day by an Australian country music star who is an Aborigine. :)

This guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_H_Williams
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Caliga

Can you really do that?  :w00t:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on August 21, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
Can you really do that?  :w00t:

Sell a rug for 100 pounds?  Yeah, I guess so if you're in the UK.

Grey Fox

On my 13 hour drive back from Florida last Saturday I ran across a Canadian XM station that had country music in French.  Did not know that was a thing.

It's a thing.

In Quebec, all the best selling physical cd albums are country music.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2017, 07:45:04 PM

It's a thing.

In Quebec, all the best selling physical cd albums are country music.

After "Swedish Death Metal," "Québécois and Western" isn't so weird.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on August 21, 2017, 04:00:10 PM
dog rug

That is just horrific.
Even putting aside the animal as a rug thing and the animal you're friends with as a rug thing...
The head.
Just...ughhhhhh. Having this big sticky up head from a rug.....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 22, 2017, 02:36:25 AM
Quote from: Zanza on August 21, 2017, 04:00:10 PM
dog rug

That is just horrific.
Even putting aside the animal as a rug thing and the animal you're friends with as a rug thing...
The head.
Just...ughhhhhh. Having this big sticky up head from a rug.....

Yeah, no tradition of rugs with heads.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.