News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Yesterday in court I started to use OJ as an example (of the difference between criminal and civil court) when I realized that the person I was talking to was 20 and probably wasn't even born at the time of OJ's famous trial.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Anyone know off hand how much of his 33 year sentence he served?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2017, 09:46:27 AM

He was locked up in 2007 so nine years plus something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 21, 2017, 08:50:51 AM
I was in university in Vancouver when I was pretty much forced to watch that guy, OJ Simpson.  It was IMPOSSIBLE to avoid him, even for someone who wasn't an American football fan.  I can't believe people are still talking about him today. 

You don't realize just how good at American Football he was man.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Well, I know next to nothing about American football.  Saying he was good at American football is the same as saying some dude is really good at, say Judo  :lol:

Josephus

He wouldn't be getting out so quick if he were black poor
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 21, 2017, 10:18:21 AM
Well, I know next to nothing about American football.  Saying he was good at American football is the same as saying some dude is really good at, say Judo  :lol:

You should learn! I mean once you finally retire what are you going to do with all your spare time? I mean when you are not watching stolen anime :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:23:49 AM

You should learn! I mean once you finally retire what are you going to do with all your spare time? I mean when you are not watching stolen anime :P

I don't even have time to watch soccer, my favourite sport.  If I had more time, I'd watch European football rather than learn something new. 

Duque de Bragança

Impossible to escape to O.J during my English classes in high school back then, since the teacher made us watch CBS evening news.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:11:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2017, 09:46:27 AM

He was locked up in 2007 so nine years plus something.

Yeah, was sentenced to 9 to 33 years; was already paroled on lesser charges a couple years ago.

I see the parole board mentioned his work as commissioner of the prison softball league, where at times he was responsible for "conflict mediation."  Oh, I bet.  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 21, 2017, 10:26:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:23:49 AM

I don't even have time to watch soccer, my favourite sport.  If I had more time, I'd watch European football rather than learn something new. 

But...but...exploring new cultures!!11

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2017, 10:32:56 AM
Impossible to escape to O.J during my English classes in high school back then, since the teacher made us watch CBS evening news.

I liked the way the media covered crucial stories, like Marcia Clark's hair-do, in great detail back then.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:40:18 AM

But...but...exploring new cultures!!11

Sure.  I explored the food.  The education system.  The job market.  The language.  The movies.  My time, attention, and financial resources were finite.  Couldn't do everything.  I was already crushed by the university course work. 

Valmy

Yeah but wouldn't you want to spend your retirement years watching people do stuff like this?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2017, 10:49:13 AM
Yeah but wouldn't you want to spend your retirement years watching people do stuff like this?

Watch people committing defensive pass interference for the last of your years? What kind of life is that?