And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

It says "General Grant" on there.  :(

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

DGuller

I never paid close attention to it, but here I think you're on I-78 or 278, no articles.  Basically, two-digit interstates get an I, while auxiliary three-digit ones just go by the numbers.  That seems perfectly sensible to me, not sure why people would do it differently elsewhere.

sbr

I hate to contradict Anchor but that is the way I have always heard and said it here in Oregon.  Maybe it's just an age or coming from the boonies thing for him.  :D

Though actually the I isn't said for I-84 either.  There is I-5, 84, 205, 405.  All of the state highways are referred to by number only as well, unless they have soem weird other name.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 07:23:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 07:15:39 PM
11B's car horn is the Mexican hat dance.  Extended version.  By Bugs Bunny.

I drive the General Sherman, '64 & '65 SEC Conference Champion.

If you drive a car like that,

You might be a red neck.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 12, 2017, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 07:23:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 07:15:39 PM
11B's car horn is the Mexican hat dance.  Extended version.  By Bugs Bunny.

I drive the General Sherman, '64 & '65 SEC Conference Champion.

If you drive a car like that,

You might be a red neck.

The should have hung most of the Confederate key players. Division commanders and above.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Paid down my student loan, hopefully I'll now be able to enroll in school for this fall.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 07:53:40 PM

The should have hung most of the Confederate key players. Division commanders and above.

Nah, they shouldn't have stopped with half-measures like that.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2017, 10:30:40 AM
Quote from: Maximus on June 12, 2017, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 11, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
Quote from: Maximus on June 11, 2017, 09:01:01 PM
Do you say "I took Pennsylvania Turnpike"?

Of course not, but do you say "I took the Interstate 95?"
No, the point is it's not as simple as whether it's a proper noun. My theory is if it contains a number the article is dropped.

Here you go.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/the-5-the-101-the-405-why-southern-californians-love-saying-the-before-freeway-numbers

Hmmm. Where did the "the" come from. I grew up in California. All we ever said was 5, 101, 50, 80 when talking highways. i.e. Take 5, then get on 80. Saying, "Take the 5, then get on the 80". Is retarded valley assbuger shit.

You can see in the link name that it was about Southern California. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2017, 02:39:20 AM
You can see in the link name that it was about Southern California. :o

That was an interesting article.  Not enough pictures for 11B, though.

Liep

Was just out shopping for the puppy that's arriving in two weeks. So many toys. I need them all. :wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2017, 09:32:07 PM
Paid down my student loan, hopefully I'll now be able to enroll in school for this fall.

Yay! What do you want to take this fall Raz?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2017, 07:01:49 AM
Was just out shopping for the puppy that's arriving in two weeks. So many toys. I need them all. :wub:

Heh get ready for your life to change completely.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius