News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2017, 01:15:10 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on June 11, 2017, 10:56:34 AM
What can I say?  Just having the /95/ in isolation looked strange.

Lose the article.  It's I95.

Actually, it's I-95.  The point is, it's a proper noun, so it doesn't take an article, so you'd say, "I took the interstate" if you aren't specifying which interstate, but "I took I-95" if you are being specific.

Maximus

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2017, 06:34:31 PM
Actually, it's I-95.  The point is, it's a proper noun, so it doesn't take an article, so you'd say, "I took the interstate" if you aren't specifying which interstate, but "I took I-95" if you are being specific.
Do you say "I took Pennsylvania Turnpike"?

PDH

Quote from: Maximus on June 11, 2017, 09:01:01 PM

Of course not, but do you say "I took the Interstate 95?"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

There are several turnpikes, the Pennsylvania Turnpike being one of them.  Hence the article.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on June 11, 2017, 11:21:29 AM

Tater Tots ranked anywhere else but last is a crime against humanity, the penalty for which should be death via impalement.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I thought I  had a cunning plan for marginals in the next election.
It has been done.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/107255/political-leaflets-used-look-two-edward-heaths-ballot-paper/
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: PDH on June 11, 2017, 09:31:08 PM

No, you'd be a weirdo to say that out in long form.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

No, the point is it's not as simple as whether it's a proper noun. My theory is if it contains a number the article is dropped.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on June 12, 2017, 10:19:58 AM

No, the point is it's not as simple as whether it's a proper noun. My theory is if it contains a number the article is dropped.

Here you go.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/the-5-the-101-the-405-why-southern-californians-love-saying-the-before-freeway-numbers
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

In Montreal you say highways by the numbers they are represented.

In Quebec City, you use their actual name.

One of the many ways where we compete.

I dont have to talk about highways alot in english but when I do I always use "the" before the number. (In French too)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

It's still the pretentious and the obnoxious.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 10:35:43 AM
It's still the pretentious and the obnoxious.

There's nothing pretentious about it. I didn't know till I moved to Massachusetts that you could do it any other way.  Of course, I also had not heard of bubblers before then so probably more the better.

CountDeMoney

Everything from California is the pretentious and the obnoxious. You should know, The Cardinal.