News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 10:42:51 AM
Everything from California is the pretentious and the obnoxious. You should know, The Cardinal.

Haters be pouring that haterade.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 10:42:51 AM
Everything from California is the pretentious and the obnoxious. You should know, The Cardinal.

Oh and no, my dorm was called Cardenal without an article.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2017, 10:35:33 AM
In Montreal you say highways by the numbers they are represented.

In Quebec City, you use their actual name.

One of the many ways where we compete.

I dont have to talk about highways alot in english but when I do I always use "the" before the number. (In French too)

Around her I think we say "the [number] when it's a multisyllable number. F. ex. we say "take the ninety-nine for about 20 minutes". When it's a short number we'll append highway or use the actual name, f. ex we'd say "take highway one" or "take the Trans-Canada".

Malthus

In Ontario, everyone uses the same form: "take the four-oh-one, then get off at the turn-off for the four-hundred north ... or you could take highway seven ... "
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2017, 10:30:40 AM
Quote from: Maximus on June 12, 2017, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 11, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
Quote from: Maximus on June 11, 2017, 09:01:01 PM
Do you say "I took Pennsylvania Turnpike"?

Of course not, but do you say "I took the Interstate 95?"
No, the point is it's not as simple as whether it's a proper noun. My theory is if it contains a number the article is dropped.

Here you go.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/the-5-the-101-the-405-why-southern-californians-love-saying-the-before-freeway-numbers

Hmmm. Where did the "the" come from. I grew up in California. All we ever said was 5, 101, 50, 80 when talking highways. i.e. Take 5, then get on 80. Saying, "Take the 5, then get on the 80". Is retarded valley assbuger shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Around Seattle, it was always "I-90" and "I-5" (thought I-405 was just "405").  And the state highways just the number, without any "the".

And either way, the fact that this is at all some kind of argument or debate is stupider than any position ya'll are taking on it.  :P

PDH

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM

Hmmm. Where did the "the" come from. I grew up in California. All we ever said was 5, 101, 50, 80 when talking highways. i.e. Take 5, then get on 80. Saying, "Take the 5, then get on the 80". Is retarded valley assbuger shit.

What part of California did you grow up in?  Around LA it is "the 101" while further north it is "101."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Around here people say "get on 64" or "get on the Watterson (Expressway)", never "get on the 64" or "get on I-65".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: PDH on June 12, 2017, 06:52:26 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM

What part of California did you grow up in?  Around LA it is "the 101" while further north it is "101."

Sacramento
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2017, 06:53:35 PM
Around here people say "get on 64" or "get on the Watterson (Expressway)", never "get on the 64" or "get on I-65".

Quit lyin'. In mouthbreatherville it be

Drive on down a spell till you hit the crek. Turn left and go till y'all hit Bill's Tavern, good eating there, and......

CountDeMoney

11B's car horn is the Mexican hat dance.  Extended version.  By Bugs Bunny.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 07:15:39 PM
11B's car horn is the Mexican hat dance.  Extended version.  By Bugs Bunny.

I drive the General Sherman, '64 & '65 SEC Conference Champion.

Ed Anger

Are you poor? American? Receiving benefits? Amazon is offering you Prime for 5.99/mo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive