News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PM
I love these French predreds.  So steampunk.

Honest question, though:  is it really steampunk when discussing period-specific technology?  :P

It's kind of like watching Casablanca for the first time, and complaining about all the movie cliches, right?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2017, 03:17:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 17, 2017, 02:43:28 PM
I'm an accountant and we are closing the books. The field submitted numbers and we are checking them and pulling them together for publication.

A lady in my old job has been working on figuring out an error all day. It is probably going to be too small to worry about fixing. She was getting super frustrated and asked me for help. Reflecting that it is too small to fix she said, "I just keep thinking, this is so small, what is the point of all this work?"

I said to her, "Don't start thinking that way, or you will realize nothing we do matters and in 60 years we will both be dead."

She was horrified and acted as though that was the most horrible thing she has ever heard. Probably not a good career move to talk like that, but it was a fun reaction. :)

I spend most of my day changing semi-colons to commas in stories that no one will ever read.

and Trump becomes possible....

LaCroix

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2017, 03:17:02 PMI spend most of my day changing semi-colons to commas in stories that no one will ever read.

I see this kinda frequently, and it makes no sense why people abuse the hell out of them

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2017, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PM
I love these French predreds.  So steampunk.

Honest question, though:  is it really steampunk when discussing period-specific technology?  :P

It's kind of like watching Casablanca for the first time, and complaining about all the movie cliches, right?

QuoteThere were ships of shapes and sizes
Scattered out along the bay
And I thought I heard her calling
As the steamer pulled away

The Invaders must have seen them
As across the coast they filed
Standing firm between them
There lay Thunder Child

Moving swiftly through the waters
Cannons blazing as she came
Brought a mighty metal War-Lord
Crashing down in sheets of flame

Sensing victory was nearing
Thinking fortune must have smiled
People started cheering
'Come on Thunder Child'
'Come on Thunder Child'

JOURNALIST: The Martians released their Black Smoke, but the ship sped on, cutting
down one of the tripod figures. Instantly, the others raised their Heat Rays and melted
the Thunder Child's valiant heart.

PEOPLE: Lashing ropes and smashing timbers
Flashing Heat Rays pierced the deck
Dashing hopes for our deliverance
As we watched the sinking wreck

With the smoke of battle clearing
Over graves in waves defiled
Slowly disappearing
Farewell Thunder Child!
Slowly disappearing
Farewell Thunder Child!
Farewell Thunder Child!
Farewell Thunder Child!

JOURNALIST: When the smoke cleared, the little steamer had reached the
misty horizon, and Carrie was safe. But the Thunder Child had vanished forever,
taking with her man's last hope of victory. The leaden sky was lit by green flashes,
cylinder following cylinder, and no one and nothing was left now to fight them.

The Earth belonged to the Martians.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

CountDeMoney

Metric was always the easiest way to determine whether someone was a communist.   I haff a theerty meeleemeeter camera.

Syt

See, millimeter is probably the only metric measurement most Americans understand. Well, 9 millimeter at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2017, 07:08:36 AM
See, millimeter is probably the only metric measurement most Americans understand. Well, 9 millimeter at least.

And kilo(gramme) in the illegal drug distribution business too. :)

garbon

No gramme shit, darling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

The only thing the "American system" of units is good for crashing a hundred million dollars of government property into the surface of Mars. It is a terrible and confusing system for anything important.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 08:45:53 AM
The only thing the "American system" of units is good for crashing a hundred million dollars of government property into the surface of Mars. It is a terrible and confusing system for anything important.

Well it sort of made sense in the age of sail, steam and the British empire, less so in the rocket and computer age as you say.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2017, 08:41:55 AM
No gramme shit, darling.

:secret:

Hence the parentheses, bitch.

Quotekilo(gramme)