Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 17, 2017, 02:32:00 AM
Stupidity?

Well yes, but I thought there was a technical marketing term for it. :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Putin: "Trump has run Miss Universe for years, why would he need girls with low social status? Even if ours are the best in the word."

Apparently that's a real statement.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

At least putin is patriotic. Our hookers are the best hookers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 08:30:08 AM
Putin: "Trump has run Miss Universe for years, why would he need girls with low social status? Even if ours are the best in the word."

I hope Putin's  smarminess is going to prove his downfall.  Right now it seems like nothing can go wrong for him, but that's also when you get overconfident.

Maladict

Rumors swirling about an impending Serbian Crimea-style annexation of northern Kosovo. After Friday, why wouldn't they?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 08:30:08 AM

It kinda is (see the other Trump thread, where I posted the original), that is not an exact translation.  But, to be fair (from watching the video), he said the last part in obvious jest.

MadBurgerMaker

My sister is in the ER getting ready to have her appendix removed.   :(

Josephus

If I were Trump I would be angry that Russian whores are taking over the sex industry from hard-working American whores.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

I'm an accountant and we are closing the books. The field submitted numbers and we are checking them and pulling them together for publication.

A lady in my old job has been working on figuring out an error all day. It is probably going to be too small to worry about fixing. She was getting super frustrated and asked me for help. Reflecting that it is too small to fix she said, "I just keep thinking, this is so small, what is the point of all this work?"

I said to her, "Don't start thinking that way, or you will realize nothing we do matters and in 60 years we will both be dead."

She was horrified and acted as though that was the most horrible thing she has ever heard. Probably not a good career move to talk like that, but it was a fun reaction. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2017, 01:42:06 AM
What's the phenomena where you see something really expensive on sale, and the huge saving makes you really want to buy it even though it's still out of your price range and you probably don't need it?

I thought there was a technical marketing term for this, but a quick look on google came up with nothing.
Not exactly what you describe, but Veblen effect describes when something is in higher demand because it is expensive and thus rare/prestigious.

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 17, 2017, 02:43:28 PM
I'm an accountant and we are closing the books. The field submitted numbers and we are checking them and pulling them together for publication.

A lady in my old job has been working on figuring out an error all day. It is probably going to be too small to worry about fixing. She was getting super frustrated and asked me for help. Reflecting that it is too small to fix she said, "I just keep thinking, this is so small, what is the point of all this work?"

I said to her, "Don't start thinking that way, or you will realize nothing we do matters and in 60 years we will both be dead."

She was horrified and acted as though that was the most horrible thing she has ever heard. Probably not a good career move to talk like that, but it was a fun reaction. :)

I spend most of my day changing semi-colons to commas in stories that no one will ever read.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on January 17, 2017, 02:43:28 PM

Don't you have IT tools to consolidate and reconcile the figures?

Admiral Yi

Just got some warts frozen off.  More painful than i was lead to believe.  On the flip side the doctor was a wonder.  "What do we have?  Where are they?  OK, lets go."  zap zap zap

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on January 17, 2017, 03:21:06 PM

Don't you have IT tools to consolidate and reconcile the figures?

Of course, but that doesn't mean they are right. You need smart people to challenge and interpret the results, even after they passed through IT controls.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014