News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Thank you Dr. Quinn, Medicine Assburger.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2016, 11:08:02 AM

I thought some people might appreciate an opinion from someone who worked professionally in emergency medicine rather than just people talking out of their ass.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2016, 11:03:33 AM

CPR is really ineffective, and patient outcomes that need it are incredibly poor. It basically never works with trauma patients, to the point that when I worked in EMS there was talk of whether it was even worth doing for them. Outcomes are a lot better for medical patients and especially cardiac ones, but still suck, and if you rely on CPR for 15 minutes before regaining a pulse, there is a very high likelihood of serious brain damage.

When I was taught CPR working at the ice rink they told us that CPR was pretty much for show.  You look like you are doing something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2016, 11:57:58 AM

I thought some people might appreciate an opinion from someone who worked professionally in emergency medicine rather than just people talking out of their ass.

Your opinion is full of shit. CPR is not "really ineffective."

And I just recerted for my BLS for Healthcare Providers last month so go defibrillate yourself. 
Maybe if you put some paddles on your head the needle will stop skipping, Rainman.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 24, 2016, 04:32:08 AM
So serviette, a French word, is not upper class?  Intriguing.  :hmm:

It'd be putting on airs which is decidely not upperclass behavior.

@Jos - yeah that system is dated. If you can find it look at the language analysis that Kate Fox did in Watching the English. That is a bit more recent look.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2016, 04:24:22 AM
Randomly looking on wikipedia I stumbled on an article about the British class system. It had  this table of typical upper and lower class words.
Oddly I would more typically use some of the upper class ones :hmm:

U           Non-U
Vegetables             Greens
Scent      Perfume
Graveyard         Cemetery
Spectacles           Glasses
False teeth           Dentures
Napkin      Serviette
Sofa             Settee or couch
Lavatory               loo   Toilet
Lunch      Dinner (for midday meal)
Dinner      Tea (for evening meal)
Pudding      Sweet

Also funny that some of the ones I'd have thought more upper class are actually working class (dentures, settee)

Vegetables
Perfume
Either
Glasses
Dentures
Napkin
Couch
Toilet
Either
Dinner or supper
Dessert
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2016, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 24, 2016, 11:57:58 AM

Your opinion is full of shit. CPR is not "really ineffective."

And I just recerted for my BLS for Healthcare Providers last month so go defibrillate yourself. 
Maybe if you put some paddles on your head the needle will stop skipping, Rainman.

Defibrillation is not ineffective, but CPR is. Sorry to bust your bubble, but facts back me up on this one.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/health/cpr-lifesaving-stats/index.html

QuoteUn-extraordinary measures: Stats show CPR often falls flat

Madeleine Stix, CNN

Updated 7:18 AM ET, Wed July 10, 2013
Story highlights

CPR was introduced to American physicians in 1960
    Study: About 2% of adults who collapse on the street and receive CPR recover fully
    Study on TV dramas found that 75% of patients survived immediate cardiac arrest

(CNN)In his 20 years of practicing emergency medicine, Dr. David Newman says, he remembers every patient who has walked out of his hospital alive after receiving CPR.
It's not because Newman has an extraordinary memory or because reviving a patient whose heart has stopped sticks in his mind more than other types of trauma. It's because the number of individuals who survive CPR is so small.

In fact, out of the hundreds of CPR patients who have come to the New York hospitals where he has worked, Newman recalls no more than one individual a year making a full recovery...

Exact survival rates are difficult to come by, as studies generally look at specific populations. A 2012 study showed that only about 2% of adults who collapse on the street and receive CPR recover fully. Another from 2009 (PDF) showed that anywhere from 4% to 16% of patients who received bystander CPR were eventually discharged from the hospital. About 18% of seniors who receive CPR at the hospital survive to be discharged, according to a third study (PDF).

So when did the misconception about the effectiveness of CPR begin? Some researchers argue that television created the myth. Between 1994 and 1995, researchers from Duke University watched 97 episodes of "ER," "Chicago Hope" and "Rescue 911," taking note of when CPR was administered during each show.

In a hospital setting, cardiac arrest has much better outcomes primarily because defibrillation resources are nearby, and that is an effective treatment.

CPR is the best that can be done without defibrillation, but chances of success are very low (an exception to this rule is drowning victims).

Trauma victims outside of a hospital going into arrest are almost 100% guaranteed to be fucked, because the condition causing the arrest is likely related to blood loss, and that situation can't be fixed without surgery.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Temp banning is 100% effective against fucking autistics that just can't ever shut the fuck up, however.

HVC

Should have thrown some green in there to make it more festive.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Now, let's don't be like that, Seedy!  It's Christmas!  :D

I'm not sure those stats mean much, however.  Comparing the number of patients who "recover fully" to the number of patients who recover on TV seems like a silly thing to do.  Studies would likely show that the number of people actually kidnapped by aliens is smaller than the number kidnapped by aliens on TV, for instance.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 24, 2016, 03:01:03 PM
Temp banning is 100% effective against fucking autistics that just can't ever shut the fuck up, however.

This is way out of line.

Alcibiades

About on par with him failing to set his lineup even once in the LFFL this year.   :rolleyes:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain