News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2016, 05:50:30 PM
I'm not aging it's ideal, but someone has a heart attack on the street in the city probably has a longer wait time.
In that case the wait time is until the ambulance with its life support systems gets there, which is hopefully just a couple of minutes.

celedhring

Quote2:46 PM PT -- We're told when the plane landed paramedics worked on Carrie for 15 minutes with CPR before they were able to get a pulse. She's currently at UCLA Medical Center on a ventilator.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2016, 05:48:39 PM
And I imagine that the plane is about the least convenient place ever to quickly start the CPR.

Stewardesses Flight attendants are required by the FAA to be trained in advanced first aid and CPR/AED.  They are trained to move the victim into the aisle, regardless of the seat they're in.

Josquius

So now she's alive and well we can say it.... what does this mean for the next Star Wars?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

They can use CGI zombies in Star Wars movies now, they don't need the actors any more
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2016, 06:12:06 PM
So now she's alive and well

Quoteparamedics worked on Carrie for 15 minutes with CPR before they were able to get a pulse. She's currently at UCLA Medical Center on a ventilator.

:unsure: You need to review your definition of "alive and well" there, Borat.   :P

Quotewhat does this mean for the next Star Wars?

So selfish.

Admiral Yi

Timing was very bad.  A couple of months earlier and some chicks could have dressed up for Halloween in harem outfits and ventilators.

celedhring

QuoteCarrie Fisher's brother, Todd Fisher, has told Associated Press that she was "out of emergency" and stabilised at a Los Angeles hospital.

:)

Let's hope she can make a good recovery.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2016, 06:12:06 PM
what does this mean for the next Star Wars?

It means we should stop complaining about the [spoiler]CGI Leia. [/spoiler]
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Randomly looking on wikipedia I stumbled on an article about the British class system. It had  this table of typical upper and lower class words.
Oddly I would more typically use some of the upper class ones :hmm:

U           Non-U
Vegetables             Greens
Scent      Perfume
Graveyard         Cemetery
Spectacles           Glasses
False teeth           Dentures
Napkin      Serviette
Sofa             Settee or couch
Lavatory               loo   Toilet
Lunch      Dinner (for midday meal)
Dinner      Tea (for evening meal)
Pudding      Sweet

Also funny that some of the ones I'd have thought more upper class are actually working class (dentures, settee)
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

So serviette, a French word, is not upper class?  Intriguing.  :hmm:

Liep

Merry Christmas to all you from Argentina, Austria, Brazil, Bulgaria, Colombia, Denmark, Estonia, the Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Quebec, Romania, Uruguay, Sweden, Switzerland and the Czech Republic. :)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

I am at home for Christmas and found some 15-20 year old Shadowrun sourcebooks.  :nerd:
Apparently my mother sold some on ebay ten years ago though...

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2016, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2016, 05:45:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2016, 05:41:51 PM
Fifteen minutes before the plane landed.  :( They're probably just getting ahold of next of kin.

15 minute response time isn't that bad. I'm assuming there a medical team at most airports?

Response time doesn't matter if you're not getting the most critical thing done inside those first minutes:  getting blood to the brain by CPR.

CPR is really ineffective, and patient outcomes that need it are incredibly poor. It basically never works with trauma patients, to the point that when I worked in EMS there was talk of whether it was even worth doing for them. Outcomes are a lot better for medical patients and especially cardiac ones, but still suck, and if you rely on CPR for 15 minutes before regaining a pulse, there is a very high likelihood of serious brain damage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014