News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2016, 05:45:22 AM

Don't Chinese have some kind of direct elections at local level? (even if they are probably a joke). I have read that somewhere, probably Mono can enlighten us.

Chinese government has many levels.  I think there are like five.  Central, provincial, county, township, and village.  Some of the local level governments are "elected".  I don't think they have a uniform approach.  Each village does it in a different way.  But it isn't the real deal.  There are lots of ways the party can control the election outcome. 

Josquius

The bbc had an article about them a few days ago.
Independent candidates having thugs standing outside their door and stopping them leaving, a purposfully convoluted registration process, etc. ...
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

So Chinese citizenship does grant you the right to vote and stand for election, except when it doesn't.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2016, 04:20:10 AM
A Spanish senator indicted on several corruption cases has been found dead at a hotel after talking to a judge. She was a disgraced former major figure within the conservative party, which is facing several corruption inquiries.

It has been ruled as a heart attack (and she was old and obese), but conspiracy theories are already flying all over. :ph34r:

It is, indeed, extremely convenient for PP that Barberá died before all her inquiries were resolved...  :ph34r:

The Larch

Does anyone here dabble with drones (or UAVs if you want to get technical)? I'm considering getting one for Christmas.  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2016, 07:46:38 AM
Does anyone here dabble with drones (or UAVs if you want to get technical)? I'm considering getting one for Christmas.  :hmm:

Have a quiet word with Ank.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2016, 06:42:13 AM
So Chinese citizenship does grant you the right to vote and stand for election, except when it doesn't.

I really can't care less about voting rights.  The point of getting foreign citizenship has always been that they can't turn me back when I become a refugee. 

The Larch

Quote from: mongers on November 23, 2016, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 23, 2016, 07:46:38 AM

Have a quiet word with Ank.

Not one of those.  :P

Liep

Quote from: Liep on November 23, 2016, 04:54:03 AM
I continue to not really understand the world. 2 Danes died yesterday, one I never heard of (Mopper) and one of the best writers of the last two decades (Sonnergaard). This is the amount of Facebook mentions each got:

Apparently Mopper was an alcoholic, drug addict, criminal mom who raised a criminal daughter who stabbed someone, but she had a reality show and was much loved. I feel genuinely out of touch. Maybe I should get flow tv again?

All these were all over the media when they died, Mopper I've still only seen mentioned on Facebook:  :hmm:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on November 23, 2016, 04:40:29 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2016, 04:27:15 AM
From an Economist article about Han Chinese, there were only 1,448 naturalized Chinese citizens in the last census.  Compared to Japan, which naturalizes about 10,000 people a year.

Chinese want to move out.  Who wants to move in?  :lol:

Why naturalise as a Chinese anyway?  One can easily live and work in China on visa.  It isn't like citizenship confers much benefit.

That's right, and that's what makes America so fucking awesome.

Nobody emigrates to China to become Chinese.  Or Honduras to become Honduran.  Or Italy to become Italian.
But everyone emigrates to America to become an American.  That's why we rock, and the ROTW sucks ass balls.

America: Noun. Adjective. Verb.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2016, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 23, 2016, 04:40:29 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2016, 04:27:15 AM
From an Economist article about Han Chinese, there were only 1,448 naturalized Chinese citizens in the last census.  Compared to Japan, which naturalizes about 10,000 people a year.

Chinese want to move out.  Who wants to move in?  :lol:

Why naturalise as a Chinese anyway?  One can easily live and work in China on visa.  It isn't like citizenship confers much benefit.

That's right, and that's what makes America so fucking awesome.

Nobody emigrates to China to become Chinese.  Or Honduras to become Honduran.  Or Italy to become Italian.
But everyone emigrates to America to become an American.  That's why we rock, and the ROTW sucks ass balls.

America: Noun. Adjective. Verb.

USA! USA!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

USA: So good we elected an orange clown to lead us and we're STILL AWSUM
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 23, 2016, 10:29:13 AM
:cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 23, 2016, 10:29:13 AM

Well, I should caveat my post with "that shit ends come January." :(

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.