And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

derspiess

You may be on a list or two, though :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2016, 11:15:32 AM
You may be on a list or two, though :ph34r:

Wait until I convert to Islam.  Ooooooh, please come register me.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
Christmas season has started, and with it, countless Christmas markets. After our office relocation the one at St. Charles Churchnext to the subway, which is one of the larger and nicer ones, is conveniently on our way after leaving work. :wub:

I went with colleagues today - I had a Glühwein, half a cheese bratwurst with bread, bread with Styrian bacon and hot raclette cheese ( :mmm: ) and a fatty, freshly made pastry, all from different stands and for the low price of EUR 20.- <_<

And I'm still hungry. :P

Christmas is so much cooler in Europe. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on November 23, 2016, 11:57:51 AM

Yeah, we only get lumps of coal while they get visited by the devil. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Had Raclette bread again tonight :mmm:

Looks something like this:

(there's slices of bacon under the cheese)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2016, 01:26:55 PM
Christmas season has started, and with it, countless Christmas markets. After our office relocation the one at St. Charles Churchnext to the subway, which is one of the larger and nicer ones, is conveniently on our way after leaving work. :wub:

I went with colleagues today - I had a Glühwein, half a cheese bratwurst with bread, bread with Styrian bacon and hot raclette cheese ( :mmm: ) and a fatty, freshly made pastry, all from different stands and for the low price of EUR 20.- <_<

And I'm still hungry. :P

Yep.  We are starting to have multiple Christmas markets in our area, but they fall short of what I've seen and heard of the real Kraut ones.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2016, 01:47:43 PM
Yep.  We are starting to have multiple Christmas markets in our area, but they fall short of what I've seen and heard of the real Kraut ones.

We're admittedly a bit spoiled. The major markets in Vienna are:

Rathausmarkt

Karlsplatz

Castle Schönbrunn

Belvedere Castle

Freyung

Maria-Theresien-Platz between Kunstihistorisches and Naturhistorisches Museum

Spittelberg with its small alleys between 18th/19th century houses

The park inside the Altes AKH, or old 18th century General hospital (few tourists)

Museumsquartier tends to be a bit more avant garde.

Plus a couple of others. Christmas lights are on many streets and buildings in the city. Several of the markets stay open till New Year's as winter markets.

And then there's of course oodles of more markets throughout the countryside.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

So nice it was posted thrice.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2016, 02:24:44 PM
We're admittedly a bit spoiled. The major markets in Vienna are:

And there's also Krampusnacht :jelly:

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on November 23, 2016, 02:31:45 PM
And there's also Krampusnacht :jelly:

More of a rural/mountains thing. Civilized people don't partake in that. :P

(seriously, people get hurt when some drunk Krampuses start wailing on them durching Perchtenlauf)
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I've seen the videos on Youtube.  Pretty awesome. 

Malthus

Only a Germanic imagination could have added Krampus to Christmas.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius