Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2009, 10:26:30 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2009, 09:43:13 PM
Germany attacks Czechoslovakia
The Allies come in on the side of the Czechs
Italy and Nationalist Spain (under Sanjurjo) come in on the side of Germany
Soviets declare war on Germany

And Germany is subsequently ground into a fine paste?

I'm only half way through the book and I've only played through the end of November.

The French in the book only made a small incursion into Germany before the Germans conquered the Czechs and turned back to kick them out and invade the low countries. They overran the low countries in a month and were just starting to drive into France when the Soviets invaded Poland.

The French in my game decided to invade Northern Italy instead for some reason, but I reinforced the Italians and cut off two French divisions there and kicked the rest out. I've got a month before I have the Soviets invade Poland and I'm hoping that the pathetic level of Soviet org at this point will allow me enough time to crush the French before Poland gets overrun.

There's foreshadowing in the book that the Japs are preparing to attack Soviet forces in Siberia.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2009, 10:36:02 AM
There's foreshadowing in the book that the Japs are preparing to attack Soviet forces in Siberia.

That's a fairly adult literature concept.  Are you sure you're reading Turtledove?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2009, 10:38:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2009, 10:36:02 AM

That's a fairly adult literature concept.  Are you sure you're reading Turtledove?

:lol:

It's not hard given his style is to portray the action from like 20 different viewpoints of various noncoms, soldiers and civilians, from both neutral and warring nations. One of those characters is a Japanese sergeant.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Finland exists.
That is all.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Anyone recognizes what other work Sandow Birk's "L.A. drive by (Crips)" is based on?

:bowler:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on September 04, 2009, 08:27:14 AM
I really hate sitting on a public tollet when the seat is still warm from the person who shat there before you. :mad:

I don't use public toilets.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I'm thinking that's one with Turks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2009, 02:32:11 PM
Anyone recognizes what other work Sandow Birk's "L.A. drive by (Crips)" is based on?

:bowler:

The one with Nelson dying?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Saw a home pregnancy test in the trash can this morning before I left for work :o
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2009, 04:39:23 PM
Saw a home pregnancy test in the trash can this morning before I left for work :o

#3!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Korea

I can't find my glasses. Has anyone seen my glasses?
I want my mother fucking points!

jimmy olsen

They're on top of you head.

1 Karma Chameleon point