News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on January 24, 2024, 11:16:22 AMThe latest Miss Japan has been announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68078061

100% Ukrainian ethnically, moved to Japan when she was 5.

Controversy has of course erupted. Particularly funny is those saying its political and if she was Russian they wouldn't be doing this.

I can't help but suspect wanting to create controversy played a part in her winning- afterall, the last time anyone talked about Miss Japan was a decade ago when a half black woman won.

She's been dethroned over an affair.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2024, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: Josquius on February 06, 2024, 02:39:03 PMI really want to get a rice cooker again. Used one a  lot in Japan and cooking rice is such a faff.
Space though

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2024, 02:13:35 PM[

(and yes - I was inspired to get a fancy rice cooker by internet comedian/cooking reviewer Uncle Roger  :Embarrass: )

/Beijing schill

:unsure:

Zojirushi is a Japanese company.  And Uncle Roger is a UK-based comedian of Chinese-Malaysian decent who makes lots of jokes about the CCP.
He got a lot of criticism a few years ago for following CCP commands. IIRC apologising for sharing a stage with someone who is anti CCP.

Quote from: HVC on February 06, 2024, 08:37:45 PMShe's been dethroned over an affair.

I saw. Sad and very Japanese.
Which I guess proves her credentials and makes her even more Miss Japan. :p
██████
██████
██████

HVC

The beauty pageant word has some very strict moral clauses.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Legbiter

New eruption, 3km fissure very similar to the December one.

Blue Lagoon won't be receiving any visitors because the lava cut off the road to it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

The lava flow managed to take out the hot water pipeline from the power plant to the wider Reykjanes area, depriving 30,000 people of heating. Work on the backup pipeline was completed in the nick of time before lava inundated it around noon local time and connecting it to the grid will be completed tomorrow if all goes well.  :hmm: 

Eruption is subsiding, should be over in the next few days.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Wants to be careful knocking about in woods with that black and white face.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Here the masked bandits keep knocking out the power. Including a few weeks ago when it went out for 4 or so for a large chunk of downtown Toronto. Sitting in the dark wasn't fun :lol: better then the people who needed rescue from elevators though.

Tonitrus

Sheilbh

WSJ reporting that Venzuela is moving tanks, armoured carriers and missile-armed small boats to the border with Guyana, which we could probably do without.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2024, 02:14:31 PMOn a different note - McDonalds Canada brought back the McRib.  Apparently the first time in 10 years.

I think myself - self, you've never had a McRib, you should try one.

It was awful.  The only thing you could taste was barbecue sauce.

Just tried one out for nostalgias sake. Not as good as I remembered

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on February 09, 2024, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2024, 02:14:31 PMOn a different note - McDonalds Canada brought back the McRib.  Apparently the first time in 10 years.

I think myself - self, you've never had a McRib, you should try one.

It was awful.  The only thing you could taste was barbecue sauce.

Just tried one out for nostalgias sake. Not as good as I remembered

I always wondered what animal those came from.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

TIL: Beige flag.
Apparently a term girls use for guys who don't seem terrible, but potentially dull.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Great shot - and the scaffolding was older than me :o
QuoteSalisbury Cathedral
@SalisburyCath
We've waited 38 years for this view! With the scaffolding fully removed from the Cathedral's East End, we can now admire the original beauty of the entire exterior as it would have looked in the 14th century after the Spire was added.

📸: Martin Cook

Obviously work never ends with a 700 year old building so the next bit of restoration will be the cloisters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Ah, is famous Sailisbury Cathedral. Is popular place for visit for friends from Russia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.