And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2023, 12:35:08 AML

Lol what? We like our low density.

You say you do. Many don't. And the negative effects of enforced suburbia already play a big role in a lot of the country's problems. Not to mention the brewing collapse of the ponzi...

QuoteYeah, looks like they took all the built-up area and applied the average municipal density to it. I don't think that many people live in container ports and industrial areas :lol:

Even clicking on cities,the main interesting part, they seem to underestimate the amount of higher density people
██████
██████
██████

Hamilcar

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 22, 2023, 02:00:22 PMAmerican suburbs are bad: https://youtu.be/Qr48ZxlYxOs
He makes a lot of good points (especially bout how racism fueled a lot of the growth of the suburbs) but way, way overstates the unhappiness of suburbanites and the influence of big business.  Suburban life is simply much too attractive for people to want to tolerate restrictions on it unless outside factors (like the population density of Europe or the US East Coast megalopolises) force some restrictions.  A bit of a poisoned chalice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

The Irish president's dog Bród has died. :(

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2023, 07:19:56 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 22, 2023, 02:00:22 PMAmerican suburbs are bad: https://youtu.be/Qr48ZxlYxOs
He makes a lot of good points (especially bout how racism fueled a lot of the growth of the suburbs) but way, way overstates the unhappiness of suburbanites and the influence of big business.  Suburban life is simply much too attractive for people to want to tolerate restrictions on it unless outside factors (like the population density of Europe or the US East Coast megalopolises) force some restrictions.  A bit of a poisoned chalice.

I don't think many people call for restrictions on suburbs. The dominant argument is quite the opposite, that there's too many restrictions enforcing suburbs as the only possible way to build in North America.
I don't buy into the libertarian the less legislation the better slant on this but for sure there is a problem with broken legislation.

Suburban life is attractive...maybe to some people the worst of both worlds, rural enough to need to drive 2 hours to get anywhere but with no privacy and freedom is nice...There'll always be some level of demand for anything. But anecdotally and in data signs suggest there's huge unmet demand for more traditional city living.
It seems to me that its one of those things where on the surface it seems very nice and that's as far as most people think, hence my distaste for the libertarian slant (plus evidence from Japan...).

Also there's nothing forced about dense building in Europe. As the map shows its some of Europe's least dense countries where you find the most dense building whilst some of the nationally denser countries (ie. UK, Netherlands) have a very low built up density and a large amount of sprawl.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2023, 02:34:20 AMThe Irish president's dog Bród has died. :(

:(

I think that means Misneach is the only one left now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Enjoying the Times' "most expensive chocolate in the world"-gate:

The terror someone is feeling at CCTV unveiling them as not just someone who ruined an article, but the type of person who steals from the communal fridge (we all have our suspects) <_< :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'd never, never 1) leave anything in the communal fridge 2) much less if I need it for my work 3) much much less if it's called "the most expensive chocolate in the world".

The last time I worked in an office with a communal fridge they ended up locking it outside of the fixed lunchtimes  :lol:

Sheilbh

I never use it, or steal anything from it. But I love the chaos, arguments and passive aggressive emails it provokes :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

No one ever steals anything from our office fridge. Happens a lot more often that people put something in the fridge and forget about it for days or weeks. Our receptionist has to clean it out regularly. :x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

I can relate to the three posts above.  :P

I don't steal, only some valuable stuff disappeared and most of the time people forgot what they had in it.  :D

DGuller

WTF, was that in the works?

Sheilbh

Can only suspect he wasn't willing to move in the way Fox need to after that settlement - ie there's less appetite for going in hard on massively defamatory conspiracy theories that you know are bullshit.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Very terse and short. Interesting.

I guess the Daily Wire will have a new show soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."