Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on January 15, 2021, 07:57:29 AM
Quote from: Maladict on January 14, 2021, 08:17:55 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2021, 07:49:16 AM

Something must be in the water - Dutch government on verge of collapse too (I wonder how much is just that covid paused actual politics in lots of countries and now the politicians are bored and bring it back). This is, at least, more explicable than Renzi:
QuoteDutch government faces collapse over child benefits scandal

Yeah, not Covid-related at all. And probably too serious to play the "we're in a crisis situation" card. This scandal has been brewing for a long time.

We were due elections in March anyway, although the question remains if a demissionary cabinet has enough powers to deal with Covid.

And there it is. Government resigned, but the opposition agrees to empower the demissionary cabinet on Covid matters. Seems sensible enough.
What you're saying is, this tiny European nation, with a decent social welfare net combined with a decidedly entrepreneurial&liberal attitude is, in essence, giving lessons in governance to all the planet?  :hmm:

Next spring, instead of boatloads of tulips, send us some politicians, please. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2021, 12:41:57 PM
Root canals are fucking expensive in the UK what the flying fuck! Paid like 300 pounds for it and I'll need a second session not covered by this.

And this was by far the cheaper dentist around me.
I just had an exam.  Nothing extraordinary, just your regular semi-annual dental exam.  No fillings, no tooth removal, only a one per 5 year 360 radiography.  No huge reveals either, the problem that were existing pre-covid are still existing as it's too much hassle to get it fixed now.  Nothing worst than before.  330$CAN.  190 GBP.  213 E. 260USD$.
Goddammit.

And I'm sure they managed to jack up prices due to covid, as if they were very near the poverty line before.   :glare:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2021, 01:44:14 PM
My east-european co-workers all go back home for Dental work. They've quoted the prices & I understand.
A friend of mine referred me to his dentist, in Mexico.  Still have to travel there, though.  But he's an expat from here.  He charges a fraction of the price.

Now that I have the time for vacations, all I need is the money.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2021, 09:26:55 PM

What you're saying is, this tiny European nation, with a decent social welfare net combined with a decidedly entrepreneurial&liberal attitude is, in essence, giving lessons in governance to all the planet?  :hmm:

Next spring, instead of boatloads of tulips, send us some politicians, please. ;)

I mean, there's a good reason why they had to resign in the first place :P
It's not exactly a glowing recommendation for a politician.

Also, just because they're still able to govern on Covid, doesn't make them less inept at it.
I think we're more or less dead last in the vaccine race, the only thing that really matters at this point.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 19, 2021, 08:53:16 PM]

All those gaming streamers and youtubers can get bent for all I care. The worrying thing is that these guys (because they're all dudes, of course) all go out while playing victim and coming up with BS childish excuses about paying too much in taxes while acknowledging absolutely knothing about social responsability. And these are people who are extremely influential amongst young kids, in a way that almost no other public figure is, which is extremely dangerous. I'd hate for these immature brats to be raising a selfish future generation that doesn't care at all about responsability and sees all taxing as theft.

I read an article about Rubius in which I think that the author had a point. It said that he's not really running away from the taxman (or not only running away from it), but running away from maturity and its associated responsabilities, like paying your fair share of taxes.
I wonder if the thing is they know they're talentless nobodies who happen to have temporarily lucked in to a way to make big money. They know it won't last forever and then they'll be in trouble so are trying to keep as much as possible for now.

But yeah. They're dicks too.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Grow up with the country. :yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Similar climate in Cornwall and Italy?  :lmfao:

Syt

"Italy in winter is like Cornwall in summer!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Why would the Romans call Cornwall the western land?

Sheilbh

I think my favourite detail is drawing attention to the fact that there are no Great Western Rail lines in Italy :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I love old railway posters.

Its fascinating how pre-nationalisation the different companies would compete with each other and there was a variety of different directions to take with this; speed, comfort and technology being obvious ones.... And then "this town is awesome" and also happens to be only served by us....
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2021, 07:22:27 AM
I think my favourite detail is drawing attention to the fact that there are no Great Western Rail lines in Italy :lol:

Well, they're precise to the point of being punctilious.  :P