News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Reminds me of how the British expats and American expats reacted differently to Japanese doctors.

Them: its so great here! Its really cheap! The checkup cost me like 20 bucks!
Me: Wtf is this shit? They tried to charge me after I'd seen the doctor. I better think twice about going again. 10 quid a pop just to see a doctor... I'm terrified how much serious stuff will cost.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on January 15, 2021, 01:02:22 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 15, 2021, 12:52:23 PM
That sounds pretty low compared to the US.  :sleep:

Yep.  I luckily only had a gum infection, but the price quoted to me for a root canal was $1,100 dollars.

Well actually no because we are not done. They have cleaned it up (and by Hod I hope the nerves have been removed) and I got a temp filling. I was told to check out details on their homepage and call for a second appointment to finish.

I have. I think I am looking at an addition 500-600 pounds if I go back to them.

Grey Fox

My east-european co-workers all go back home for Dental work. They've quoted the prices & I understand.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

By the world dentistry standards, US dentistry sounds expensive.  However, when you compare it to the US medical costs, it sounds dirt cheap.  It's almost like the absence of adequate dental insurance is keeping the costs down somewhat.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2021, 01:44:14 PM
My east-european co-workers all go back home for Dental work. They've quoted the prices & I understand.

Yeah looks like the pandemic at least will ruin my finances if nothing else. Allegedly temporary fillings on a root canal shouldn't be dependend upon more than 1.5-2 months.

I might try to shop around for another dentist to finish for cheaper.

Tamas

Apparently if I can find a dentist willing to root canal on the NHS it would be 90 pounds.

I need to figure out if that means an amalgam filling. If not, I will hunt down an NHS dentist - the hard work has already been  done by the expensive expert guy they just need to wrap up.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2021, 01:44:14 PM

Yeah I had a co worker from Belarus, who actually flew there twice to get a root canal and a crown done. Cheaper to fly and come back twice then to get it done here (and that's with insurance- most work insurance have caps (ha) for dental work)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Sadiq Khan is predicted to win re election to be London mayor by a landslide. Maybe even a first round victory.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1350098222388273152

Buuuuttttt.... That's not the main thing I notice here. There's something else very awesome there....
UKIPs candidate....is named P Gammons.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2021, 03:21:19 PM
Apparently if I can find a dentist willing to root canal on the NHS it would be 90 pounds.

I need to figure out if that means an amalgam filling. If not, I will hunt down an NHS dentist - the hard work has already been  done by the expensive expert guy they just need to wrap up.

Have you considered getting it through the NHS emergency dentistry number/service? Not the stuff done in hospitals, but for people with a non-trivial issue that needs sorting within days.

I had some work done a while back, got an nearby appointment within days and the dentist was really good, non-NHS and I had to pay under 100 pounds.  I think it helped that I wasn't registered with any other dentist, be they NHS or not.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2021, 06:37:16 PM
Don't be raciss.

Sincerely,
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2021, 08:18:06 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2021, 06:37:16 PM
Don't be raciss.

Sincerely,
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Royal Tunbridge Wells.

Sincerely,
Outraged of Royal Tunbridge Wells
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2021, 08:13:37 PM

Have you considered getting it through the NHS emergency dentistry number/service? Not the stuff done in hospitals, but for people with a non-trivial issue that needs sorting within days.

I had some work done a while back, got an nearby appointment within days and the dentist was really good, non-NHS and I had to pay under 100 pounds.  I think it helped that I wasn't registered with any other dentist, be they NHS or not.

Thanks Mongers. My only concern keeping my away from having stuff done on the NHS is the bloody amalgam filling. That's been banned in Hungary for like 25 years as being unhealthy. Ain't getting that put in my mouth.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on January 16, 2021, 03:41:59 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2021, 08:13:37 PM

Thanks Mongers. My only concern keeping my away from having stuff done on the NHS is the bloody amalgam filling. That's been banned in Hungary for like 25 years as being unhealthy. Ain't getting that put in my mouth.

odd, when I had my emergency stuff done, it included two non-amalgam fillings.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"