News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on January 14, 2021, 08:17:55 AM
We were due elections in March anyway, although the question remains if a demissionary cabinet has enough powers to deal with Covid.
I think there's a similar issue in Italy.  The Italian President's term ends in January 2022 and for the last six months (so from June-July 2021) the President can't dissolve Parliament/call elections. So if things don't get resolved in Italy in the next six months you'll have a caretaker government, that may not have a majority, at the mercy of the pandemic and opposition politicians/rogue senators. Which would not be ideal given everything that's going on in the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2021, 08:23:10 AM
We were due elections in March anyway, although the question remains if a demissionary cabinet has enough powers to deal with Covid.
I think there's a similar issue in Italy.  The Italian President's term ends in January 2022 and for the last six months (so from June-July 2021) the President can't dissolve Parliament/call elections. So if things don't get resolved in Italy in the next six months you'll have a caretaker government, that may not have a majority, at the mercy of the pandemic and opposition politicians/rogue senators. Which would not be ideal given everything that's going on in the world.

Ours will have a majority though, and there's really only one party that doesn't take Covid seriously.
It's not ideal for sure, but I'm not expecting chaos.

crazy canuck

Quill linked this explanation about what free speech means in his faq about the decision of mods to ban from his channel being final.  It provides a very good explanation in internet prose.

https://xkcd.com/1357/

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It is a surprise that amidst the cunty influencers with their "look at me I'm still travelling"  none have tried to make trendy masks :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2021, 07:49:16 AM

Something must be in the water - Dutch government on verge of collapse too (I wonder how much is just that covid paused actual politics in lots of countries and now the politicians are bored and bring it back). This is, at least, more explicable than Renzi:
QuoteDutch government faces collapse over child benefits scandal

Yeah, not Covid-related at all. And probably too serious to play the "we're in a crisis situation" card. This scandal has been brewing for a long time.

And there it is. Government resigned, but the opposition agrees to empower the demissionary cabinet on Covid matters. Seems sensible enough.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Snaps Wellington
Bits of cock in a brine broth

:unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Don't let the name fool you. It's not actually a broth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Root canals are fucking expensive in the UK what the flying fuck! Paid like 300 pounds for it and I'll need a second session not covered by this.

And this was by far the cheaper dentist around me.

Sheilbh

Eeeeeek!

But yeah - dental insurance is up there with travel insurance as the best work benefit I have access to :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I have always tried to time dental appointments to my visits to Hungary but this was quite a surprise pain and of course flying home is not an option. It's painful.

If the pain will be gone I am tempted to try and survive on the temporary filling until I do fly home and have it finished there for half the price.

celedhring

Dental insurance is one of the best things I've ever got. There's a reason that a common cliche around the movie business is "if you want to raise money for your indie film, look up your local dentist".  :lol:

Tonitrus

That sounds pretty low compared to the US.  :sleep:

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 15, 2021, 12:52:23 PM
That sounds pretty low compared to the US.  :sleep:

Yep.  I luckily only had a gum infection, but the price quoted to me for a root canal was $1,100 dollars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!