News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Threviel on January 22, 2021, 01:25:20 AM
Gets me hungry, most of them look real tasty. What's the deal with not one sandwich made with rye bread?

California is rye, could be more.  Rye is the traditional bread for pastrami.

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on January 21, 2021, 04:44:37 PM
And yet another list of:

The Best Sandwich in Every State

The Florida choice, The Cuban Sandwich at The Columbia in Tampa, is something of a controversial pick since they put salami on their sandwich, while in most parts of Florida that is not done.

For Michigan, Corned Beef or Reuben sandwiches are the best in my opinion, but curiously all the delis they mention are in the city of Detroit rather than the Jewish neighborhoods in the northern suburbs.

Initial reaction: how do you eat some of those monstrosities?

North Dakota reminds me of Hamburg's Rundstück Warm, a slice of pork roast, served on  bun/roll, with gravy:

The Reuben from New York looks great, though. Plus, I love pastrami and mustard. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

The Kentucky one makes me want to go there.

The Larch

It seems to me that if it wasn't for Jews, Italians and Germans the US would not have a sandwich culture to speak of.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2021, 06:04:46 PM
My dad worked in Wigan a year or two back.
He says it's one of the worst places on the planet. Absolute knackers yard.
And he's very used to the rough places up here.
I dread to tread.
Yeah I mean Wigan is pretty rough - I think I prefer it to Warrington but that's a really "damning with faint praise" contest :lol:

Having said that Wigan's got some great food: pie barms, butter pies :mmm:

QuoteThe Reuben from New York looks great, though. Plus, I love pastrami and mustard. :)
Yes :mmm:

QuoteInitial reaction: how do you eat some of those monstrosities?
I often wonder this when I watch American food shows with massive piled sandwiches :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I took a (admitedly superficial) look at the list and didn't find any particular monstrosity. What did I overlook?

Btw, I think I already said it back in the day to barely any backlash, but in my trips to the US I found both pastrami and corned beef to be extremely overrated as sandwich meats.

celedhring

I hated both.

I was a faithful Subway customer though  :lol: :blush:

Sheilbh

I love pastrami and corned beef (both UK and US varieties) :ph34r:

But obviously it needs mustard and pickles - which is probably against the rules.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2021, 06:50:52 AM

But obviously it needs mustard and pickles - which is probably against the rules.

IIRC pickles were customary with the sandwiches at most delis, but they were put in a separate plate rather than in the sandwich itself.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 22, 2021, 06:54:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2021, 06:50:52 AM

IIRC pickles were customary with the sandwiches at most delis, but they were put in a separate plate rather than in the sandwich itself.

As pickles should be so you can easily leave them on the side as a garnish but without them infecting your sandwich.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I like pickles  :(

Not inside a sandwich though, but as a snack.

The Larch

Grey Fox

Mustard is mandatory on smoked meat sandwiches. It's already high enough that putting a pickle in probably doesn't work.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Re. Cornwall and warmth: I have heard once somebody's theory, that the Brits are walking around in t-shirt and shorts as soon as it's over 10C (and a lot of them seem to be just wearing shorts in winter as well), is because British parents would not properly cover their babies and so their heat sensibility just breaks.

Is that true? :P