And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2020, 11:48:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 07, 2020, 04:46:18 AM
Greek justice has declared that Golden Dawn is a criminal organization.

:huh:

On what grounds??
IIRC as Syt mentioned they literally killed people.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The Economist referred to Tokay as a "pudding wine."  Is this the British way of saying dessert wine?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2020, 01:20:12 PM
The Economist referred to Tokay as a "pudding wine."  Is this the British way of saying dessert wine?

I use dessert wine myself and have never heard the other term till now. Speaking as a keyboard class warrior my suspicion is that "pudding wine" is a term used ironically by upper-middle class twats of the Tory persuasion who went to Oxford  :P

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 08, 2020, 01:28:56 PM

I use dessert wine myself and have never heard the other term till now. Speaking as a keyboard class warrior my suspicion is that "pudding wine" is a term used ironically by upper-middle class twats of the Tory persuasion who went to Oxford  :P
Yes - the sort of people who have breakfast, lunch and supper :lol:

I've never heard pudding wine, but given that almost all Economist writers are 20-something Oxbridge graduates I agree, probably an affectation.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'm getting "Democrats abroad" ads. Internet scares me so much sometimes  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 08, 2020, 01:28:56 PM

I used to read Decanter and I've read lots of wine books from UK based writers and I can't recall that terms ever being used.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 09, 2020, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 09, 2020, 09:17:45 AM
I've read lots of wine books

Of course.  :lol:

Hey, on the Central Coast of California it is part of the basic K-12 curriculum.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

I can't believe how The Brain let this one slide. Apparently Katmai National Park runs every year a "Fat Bear Week" competition, so people can vote on its largest and roundest bear, and this year's winner has just been announced

Quote747 soars past the competition as Katmai's new Fat Bear Week champion

Like all good things, Fat Bear Week has come to its inevitable end.

A week ago, 12 of Katmai National Park and Preserve's chunkiest chunks began a cutthroat competition. Now, after a single-elimination bracket allowed voters to choose their favorite pudgy predators, a single beefy brown bear reigns supreme.

In the end, it came down to two fearsome fatties, 32 Chunk and 747. But only one airplane-like unit came out on top.

"747 earned it," Katmai media ranger Naomi Boak said of the winner. "He is our biggest, fattest bear."

While 747 has been runner-up in years past, he's never ascended the throne. Some who work at the park say he may even be the largest bear they've ever witnessed.

As Fat Bear Week recedes into the past, the bears will climb into their dens and hunker down for the winter — their chances of survival only bolstered by their bulk.

For the next few weeks, however, they'll continue to eat, never truly feeling full, Boak said. But their metabolisms will slow and the bears will hide out for the rest of the winter in their dens, where they'll rely on their flab to get them through the next few months of hibernation.

As cases of COVID-19 continue to surge and an election season looks to be the nastiest yet, some might wish to be a bear for a few months, bellies full, only to wake when the days are longer and the sun warmer.

And by then, it'll be just about time for Fat Bear Week 2021.

Fat Bear Week 2020 contenders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyXTzVKKBc

Fat Bear Week Champion, 747: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excCiQqjx10

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Lying in my bed drifting off to sleep recently I realized that Adrien Brody is named after the allied WW1 steel helmets (with a slight change of spelling to throw off the scent). Didn't get much sleep after that. Then just two days later I was reading a book about the Polish campaign in 1939 and Wladyslaw Szpilman was mentioned several times. I'm not religious, but there may be something out there. Call it spheres, God, whatever you want.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Why would God want you to think about Adrian Brody?