News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So Game 2 of the NLDS between Marlins and Braves is shown on Twitch, for some reason.  :huh:

EDIT: oh, only the top of the first, and now they redirect people to their website. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on October 07, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
So Game 2 of the NLDS between Marlins and Braves is shown on Twitch, for some reason.  :huh:

People will think they are watching somebody play this:

instead of an actual game
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, it was on the MLB Network channel
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

So Guernsey have an election today for their parliament, the States of Guernsey which - until this election - was made up of directly elected representatives (Deputies), indirectly elected representatives appointed by the Bailiwicks and previously the crown (Conseillers) and Douzaine representatives elected by the parishes.

They had a referendum in 2018 on how their new wholly democratic elections would work and chose the most chaotic and awful voting system I've ever heard of.

The voting system is:
There is one island wide constituency.
The constituency elects 38 Deputies to the States.
They are elected by FPTP.
Every elector has 38 separate votes - on a single ballot paper with over 100 candidates.

I have no idea how this works - I also feel like they've somehow found a way to make FPTP less democratic....

:huh: :hmm: :blink:

It is apparently unique and so complicated that the election is taking place over four days. It is being studied by multiple academics from around the world because noone has any idea how it'll work or what it'll do. It has also led to the creation of Guernsey's first political parties to try to manage this nonsense. I feel like as a country (in the broadest sense) we all need to have a conversation about maybe not doing referendums for a while, given that we apparently have a propensity towards chaos at the moment :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on October 07, 2020, 09:29:54 AM
Werner Herzog being asked how many languages he speaks gives a Werner Herzog answer. :o  :lol:

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1313771808114475010?s=20

He says he won't speak French unless at gun point yet he spoke in French without gun point.  :hmm:
Probably jealous of Volker Schlöndorff's fluent French who did the French track for one his last docus shot in France.  :lol:

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2020, 02:29:43 PM
So Guernsey have an election today for their parliament, the States of Guernsey which - until this election - was made up of directly elected representatives (Deputies), indirectly elected representatives appointed by the Bailiwicks and previously the crown (Conseillers) and Douzaine representatives elected by the parishes.

They had a referendum in 2018 on how their new wholly democratic elections would work and chose the most chaotic and awful voting system I've ever heard of.

The voting system is:
Every elector has 38 separate votes - on a single ballot paper with over 100 candidates.

I have no idea how this works - I also feel like they've somehow found a way to make FPTP less democratic....

It is apparently unique and so complicated that the election is taking place over four days. It is being studied by multiple academics from around the world because noone has any idea how it'll work or what it'll do. It has also led to the creation of Guernsey's first political parties to try to manage this nonsense. I feel like as a country (in the broadest sense) we all need to have a conversation about maybe not doing referendums for a while, given that we apparently have a propensity towards chaos at the moment :lol:

Are all the candidates in parties like Labours, etc? It would be interesting to see if the elected corresponds somewhat to how many votes the parties received.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2020, 02:59:35 PM
Are all the candidates in parties like Labours, etc? It would be interesting to see if the elected corresponds somewhat to how many votes the parties received.
No.

Guernsey historically has no political parties, just independents. The confusion caused by this new system has led to creation of Guernsey's first political parties (the Guernsey Party - 8 candidates, the Alliance Party Guernsey - 11 candidates, and the Partnership of Guernsey Indepdendents - 21 candidates) but about 3/4 of the candidates are still independents. The three parties were all formed in the last six months and the Partnership of Guernsey Independents has no party whip and allows all candidates to have their own manifesto which can be different from the party manifesto. From what I can tell the Guernsey Party are centre-right and the Alliance Party Guernsey are populist.

All but six of the candidates produced manifestos (available here, if you're bored :P https://election2020.gg/media/djhlqr5k/sog-combined-candidate-manifesto-book-for-web.pdf).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

QuoteThe voting system is:

I guess given its a single constituency they may call it fptp but its technically PR.
In Switzerland you get 19 different votes then have a choice of voting for a party list or individual people from it.

Not sure why they felt the parties necessary. Unless copying the Swiss system wholesale was done forgetting the lack of parties?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2020, 03:26:27 PM
QuoteThe voting system is:

I guess given its a single constituency they may call it fptp but its technically PR.
In Switzerland you get 19 different votes then have a choice of voting for a party list or individual people from it.

That's not PR though.  If 50%+1 of voters all vote for the same slate of candidates, then those candidates will win 100% of the seats
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The party list part is the possible spoiler. If it works by voting for individuals though then it would work.

Really not sure how the party list could work with fptp. How much is enough to give a seat?
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: The Larch on October 07, 2020, 04:46:18 AM
Greek justice has declared that Golden Dawn is a criminal organization.

:huh:

On what grounds??
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2020, 02:29:43 PM
The voting system is:

We have such a system for the city council and they added additional complexity. The city has roughly ten times the population of Guernsey.

There are 60 seats. Hundreds of candidates on party lists typically. You can give a party all your 60 votes. Or you select specific candidates from multiple lists. Or you can give up to three votes to a single candidate. I have no idea how they counted all of that.

The yellowish papers in the back were the ballot. There were like 20 such lists. If you do a party vote, you can just return one of those yellow papers, which is what most people do I guess.

Syt

Esp. when your party members go around killing people.
—Stephen Jay Gould