News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on April 26, 2019, 09:07:41 PM
I've been to 9 Canadian provinces and 43 US states. 42 if you don't count just walking across the border for a few minutes.

My rule is you have to sleep in a place to count as visiting.  So I've been to Quebec twice on day trips, but I don't count Quebec because I didn't sleep there.

hmm... I guess I could count Texas because on a layover at DFW we did rent a room and slept for 5-6 hours, but still doesn't seem like it should count.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2019, 09:40:24 PM
I've been to 9 Canadian provinces and 43 US states. 42 if you don't count just walking across the border for a few minutes.

My rule is you have to sleep in a place to count as visiting.  So I've been to Quebec twice on day trips, but I don't count Quebec because I didn't sleep there.

hmm... I guess I could count Texas because on a layover at DFW we did rent a room and slept for 5-6 hours, but still doesn't seem like it should count.
By that metric I haven't been to the stopover provinces, Ontario and Quebec. Actually I don't think I've been to New Brunswick either.

Really, though, the 24-hour drive through Ontario seems like it should count, even if you don't legally sleep there.

Anyway, that would bring me down to 7 provinces and 33 states.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2019, 09:40:24 PM

I don't know;  it seems to me that if you're going to start putting qualifiers on "visiting" a place, just sleeping there shouldn't count.  For example, when we went to Gettysburg, IIRC the motel we stayed at was actually in Maryland and it seems to me that that would count more as visiting Pennsylvania rather than visiting Maryland (I've been to Maryland other times);  OTOH, when I went to Texas, I drove through Arkansas and stopped over for the night at a motel there, but I didn't do anything in Arkansas except drive through and sleep there, so I can't see why that would count as visiting Arkansas anymore than simply driving through.

Admiral Yi

I propose the rule of at least one recreational activity.

Grey Fox

If you have crossed it you have visited it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2019, 01:40:39 PM
If you have crossed it you have visited it.

In a car, train, or bus. No planes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

No way you get a point for just driving through.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2019, 12:32:53 PM
I propose the rule of at least one recreational activity.

Good rule. It means if you are deliberately road tripping through a state, it counts, whereas if you are just crossing to get to another destination, it shouldn't.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

By that rule I've visited 24 states plus DC. Driven through 11.

katmai

Seven Canadian provinces and 43 US states.

Oh and six Mexican states to boot. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Quote from: katmai on April 27, 2019, 08:45:47 PM
Seven Canadian provinces and 43 US states.

Oh and six Mexican states to boot. :P

Jesus, I am the reason Katmai can count Wyoming.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Is eating a recreational activity?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 27, 2019, 10:14:44 PM
Is eating a recreational activity?

Possibly, but not necessarily. 

"Hey, let's check out this awesome blubber restaurant in Nunavit!"  Point

"12 more hours until we can start panning for gold in the Yukon.  We better grab a blubber burger."  No point

Eddie Teach

I'm not sure it's possible to drive through Nunavut on the way to somewhere else.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Does visiting friends or family count if you don't do anything else in a state except drive through?