News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I have shamelessly used this
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on March 15, 2019, 07:49:26 PM
I have shamelessly used this

:cool:

Don't worry, I cross posted it from twitter.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Trouble near the Étoile square for the first time since December. Hooded, black-clad and face-covered Black block anarchists on the loose. Police does not seem very well led.
One avenue leading to the Arc de Triomphe blocked with a site hut in the middle of the road. Macron's diversion, le grand débat does not seem to have worked.
Champs-Élysées avenue again trashed and some some stores looted or burnt. Initially on a ski week-end, Jupiter returned to Paris earlier than scheduled, leaving granny alone.

Threviel

Damn, are there going to be more protests? Has Jupiter lost all legitimacy amongst the populace?

Duque de Bragança

Zupiter has been doing a very fine diversion called grand débat national by pretending to care about requests put forward by peasants citizens, but it's over now. European elections soon and he still lacks legitimacy. Also, blaming the extreme/ultra/whatever right when it's obviously the hard left causing trouble does not work.
Plus the police is not very well led and perhaps a bit too much restrained after some flash-ball use accidents leading to the creation of a few cyclops.

celedhring

Fun article on a far-right bar in Madrid owned by a Chinese immigrant.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/17/world/europe/spain-franco-far-right-vox.html

"We used to joke to him," said Jesús López, a 51-year-old truck driver. "If Franco was still alive, he would kill you."

Xenophobes have a strange sense of comedy  :hmm:

QuoteHis 4-year-old son, meanwhile, is named Franco-Xi.

:lol:

The Larch

QuoteBut the attendance of 12 uniformed police officers at the bar that night, unconcerned by what their presence suggested about their political preferences, seemed to underscore Mr. Maestre's wider point.

QuoteThe 23 police and army caps hanging above the counter — all donated to Mr. Chen by serving officers, he said — showed that their attendance was no aberration.

:x

celedhring

When I lived in Madrid in the 2000s I used to tempt fate going to one of those far right establishments. This one had a stuffed bullshead over the counter, flanked by bullfighting and miscellaneous fascist memorabilia. I made a point of going there to watch El Clásico. I remember the first time, Ronaldinho scored the first in a 0-3 away win and I instinctively jumped in joy, before remembering where I was. "I'm fucked", I thought. But then I realized that most of the patrons were celebrating too - they were fascists, but Atlético fans.  :D

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2019, 04:23:03 AM
When I lived in Madrid in the 2000s I used to tempt fate going to one of those far right establishments. This one had a stuffed bullshead over the counter, flanked by bullfighting and miscellaneous fascist memorabilia. I made a point of going there to watch El Clásico. I remember the first time, Ronaldinho scored the first in a 0-3 away win and I instinctively jumped in joy, before remembering where I was. "I'm fucked", I thought. But then I realized that most of the patrons were celebrating too - they were fascists, but Atlético fans.  :D

Torrente lives on.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

So Franco had two clubs, not just Real but Atlético too? Yeah, I know Athletic Bilbao was Atlético back then, but I am not referring to this one.  :P
Well, Salazar started with using Sporting CP to entertain the masses, as the bourgeois club but later switched to Benfica, less elitist back then.

Eddie Teach

It's so weird to root for sports teams based on politics.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2019, 06:05:02 AM

So Franco had two clubs, not just Real but Atlético too? Yeah, I know Athletic Bilbao was Atlético back then, but I am not referring to this one.  :P
Well, Salazar started with using Sporting CP to entertain the masses, as the bourgeois club but later switched to Benfica, less elitist back then.

For a while right after the war Atlético was actually named Atlético Aviación and was the official team of the Spanish Air Force.

celedhring

Yeah, for a time Atlético was the team of the regime, until Madrid started to become more successful than them. Franco didn't really have a preference, he just wanted a very successful team to latch the regime's image to.

Anyhow, modern Spanish far righters don't really have a sports preference. You'll find them supporting any team where they are from - and this includes Catalan teams too.

Incidentally, I once dated a girl from Valencia. She was a both a hardcore Catalan separatist and a Raúl/Real Madrid fan. I once watched a cup final with her and she was both cheering Real Madrid and joining the Barça fans in separatist chants. Yes, she scored in the upper right quadrant of the crazy/hot axis.