News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, the competition is tough:

QuotePersonal safety is an important factor when companies decide where to establish locations abroad and send expatriate workers. Criteria used for Personal Safety Ranking include: Internal Stability; Crime; Law Enforcement; Limitations on Personal Freedom; Media/Censorship.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

All you cities worse than Caracas better be in actual warzones or I don't know what the hell you are doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I don't think Conakry is?  But it has Ebola, so there's that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Barcelona on 43rd position. No Ebola or warzone, but I guess we have our problems.

Barrister

Boo!  Edmonton isn't even ranked! :mad:

It does amuse me that of the top five cities to live in in North America, all five are in Canada.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Auckland and Vancouver are the best places in the entire English speaking world. Who would have thought?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2019, 10:19:35 AM
Barcelona on 43rd position. No Ebola or warzone, but I guess we have our problems.

An ongoing separatist movement probably doesn't help. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 09:06:09 AM

Also, we're the 6th safest cities of those examined, apparently. Of course politicians sometimes make it sound like it's basically The Wire here.

Heh, every city has the same amount of whining about local problems, it doesn't matter how they rank against each other. All that changes is that in the cities that "work", the whining is based on less.  :D

Toronto is ranked 16th overall in this chart, and is second in North America; yet if you make the mistake of reading the Toronto subreddit, you would think it was a uniquely dystopian hellhole.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on March 13, 2019, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2019, 09:06:09 AM

Also, we're the 6th safest cities of those examined, apparently. Of course politicians sometimes make it sound like it's basically The Wire here.

Heh, every city has the same amount of whining about local problems, it doesn't matter how they rank against each other. All that changes is that in the cities that "work", the whining is based on less.  :D

Toronto is ranked 16th overall in this chart, and is second in North America; yet if you make the mistake of reading the Toronto subreddit, you would think it was a uniquely dystopian hellhole.  :lol:

It's no picnic here, either. Look at this chaos at a local supermarket:

:mad:
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Okay that is pretty bad.  I would not be able to walk past that without separating them into proper stacks :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

All I see is a 1 million $ liability suit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Wow, they have incompatible hand basket shapes in Austria as well?  You'd think at least Germanic countries would avoid this plague.

Syt

Not to mention that the little trolleys into which the baskets are supposed to be stacked are sitting empty on the left hand side.

(If you wonder about the different baskets - there's smaller ones and larger ones that act like a trolley.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2019, 11:18:35 AM
All I see is a 1 million $ liability suit.
It's Europe, your next of kin would get 25% off coupon for your funeral.

celedhring

All supermarkets here have all one size of perfectly stackable handbaskets, and we get lodged at 43rd???????? THIS IS FIXED!!!!!!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad: