News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I just do not get how people can watch people like him for an extended period of time and not pick up on how dishonest they are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Without a doubt the most well known graduate of the Kennedy School of Government. ^_^

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2017, 02:52:43 PM
I just do not get how people can watch people like him for an extended period of time and not pick up on how dishonest they are.

What about Alex Jones, then? Did you read the part about him claiming to be "performing a character"?

Josquius

I wonder.
If there was a nuclear attack on a city.... Would it ever be rebuilt?
I'm somewhat doubting we would see a hiroshima and nagasaki repeat given how paranoid people are about radiation these days.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
I wonder.
I'm somewhat doubting we would see a hiroshima and nagasaki repeat given how paranoid people are about radiation these days.

They will rebuild.  They always rebuild.

You saw the argument after hurricane Katrina, for example, that they should just leave some of those neighborhoods, but no, it's a symbol of defiance and resilience to want to rebuild.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2017, 04:47:14 PM
I wonder.

You saw the argument after hurricane Katrina, for example, that they should just leave some of those neighborhoods, but no, it's a symbol of defiance and resilience to want to rebuild.

That's why the government should forbid people to build in risky areas like floodplains.
Even Chernobyl didn't stop some people from moving back.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on April 20, 2017, 06:02:54 AM
I wonder.

That's why the government should forbid people to build in risky areas like floodplains.

So ban the Netherlands?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2017, 07:23:02 AM

So ban the Netherlands?

The unsafe areas? Yes.
We've already started 'giving back' certain areas to nature, especially river floodplains.
The costs and risks of protecting them as inhabited areas are too high.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on April 20, 2017, 06:02:54 AM
I wonder.

:huh:  Some of "the government" does forbid people to build (or, at lest, get insured) on flood plains.  Some homes were grandfathered in when the federal flood insurance program was created, but you cannot get federal flood insurance for new homes on flood plains.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Not so sure rebuilding on flood prone land is the same.
That's more the same thing may one day happen again. Radiation is more of an active ongoing and greatly misunderstood (for the worse) danger.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I am saddened beyond belief that we don't actually have a dedicated naked mole rat thread to put this in: :weep:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/04/naked-mole-rat-oxygen-take-my-breath-awaaaaaaaay/523515/

QuoteOxygen makes up around 20 percent of the air around you. If it fell to 5 percent, you'd pass out after 3 minutes or so. Then, your brain would start to die. To fuel itself, this gas-guzzling organ requires a constant supply of sugar and oxygen—even when you're not doing anything. Without the vital gas, ions flood across the barriers of neurons, causing internal havoc, and forcing them to self-destruct. "There's probably more than a hundred things that will kill brain cells if you turn off the oxygen," says Thomas Park, from the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Within minutes, you'd be dead. And hours after that, a naked mole-rat in the exact same conditions would be happily walking around—the picture of health. Imagine a disembodied index finger that's been soaking in the bath for too long, and has teeth at the end. That's a naked mole-rat. These weird rodents live in large underground colonies with nesting chambers the size of footballs. In these cramped subterranean quarters, oxygen levels often fall as low as 6 percent. And yet, these animals cope with this hypoxia.

Park knows this because he and his colleague Jane Reznick once put captive naked mole-rats into a chamber with just 5 percent oxygen—conditions that would kill mice in 15 minutes. "We were ready to pull them out at a moment's notice if they started to look bad. And they looked fine," Park says. "At five hours, we quit because I had to go home."

And the article goes on to discuss their overall very odd biology.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Indeed, Mole Rats in Space.  Note, they aren't naked since they are in space suits.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on April 20, 2017, 02:09:27 PM
Indeed, Mole Rats in Space.  Note, they aren't naked since they are in space suits.

That will be disappointing for the Brain.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey Fiesta started today.  :)  I will celebrate by not going to any events.

This does mean that next Friday is a holiday though, so that's cool.

Tonitrus

Alaskan criminal cannot even afford a set of pantyhose.  :(

Quote"The clerk stated a man entered the gas station wearing a box on his head, produced a knife, and demanded items from her," Oistad wrote. "The suspect left on foot with an undisclosed amount of money and cigarettes."

"Some goofball wearing a cardboard box on his head with two eye holes punched out came in and threatened her," Wright said. "There was a customer in the store that he didn't see, who was already calling 911."