And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 15, 2015, 02:48:01 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 15, 2015, 02:35:03 PM
$10.00, that's wild.  Even taking into account the lack of need to tip vs. the US, I don't know if I'd pay that more than once or twice even in a world capital, let alone Switzerland.  Better to get on their heroin maintenance program.

Guess it's going to depend on the bar and the beer.  I don't drink crap like PBR (sorry, CCR) or Budweiser, and at any bar I've been to that's been above dive-quality, those are easily at least $6-8 a shot.  Last time I ate at World Cafe Live (expensive, but not very much so), a Yards IPA set me back $11.

Damn.  I had a Yards (possibly for the first time) at that same place maybe 8 or 9 years ago, and I think it was only $5 or so.  In all fairness, that's really a "venue," not just a bar with music.  But that's still really gouging, I've had fancy beers at "venues" that were inflated but never that badly.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2015, 03:14:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2015, 02:45:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2015, 12:48:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2015, 12:22:56 PM
:lol: "White Synapse", that's awesome.

Violent husbands in Barcelona? That's pretty much all of them, isn't it?

It's a well know, but crap Spanish Death Metal band.

I was referring to the hilarity of a black guy named "White Synapse". :mellow:

I'm as white as I am black - maybe whiter. :angry:

It reminds me of a show I saw on the guy who goes around doing genetic ancestry tracing.  One of the points he likes to make is there is really no such thing as race at the genetic level and that people are sometimes surprised when they discover what their dominant genetic markers are and where their ancestors actually came.  I am talking about relatively recent ancestors of course given the fact that we are all descended from people who travelled out of Africa.

For example there was one young fellow living in New York who was convinced his most recent genetic ancestry was from Africa (the descendant of African slaves).  His appearance seemed to confirm that assumption as did his family's oral history.  But his genetic markers were dominantly European.

The Brain

One drop rule didn't just magically appear.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

:lol: @ Zanza's racist thingie. :D

The part about Poles adopting communism because they thought it is a Catholic rite it is so insightful it's not even funny.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Wenworth Miller is apparently black.

derspiess

Let me take a wild-ass guess-- he's also gay.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on January 15, 2015, 04:53:51 PM
Wenworth Miller is apparently black.

Miller is of multiethnic origin: his father is of African-American, Jamaican, English, German, Jewish, and Cherokee background, and his mother is of Russian, French, Dutch, Syrian, Lebanese, and Swedish ancestry
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

The attempt by Target to enter the Canadian marketplace comes to an end. Billions lost and almost 20,000 people losing their jobs =  FUBAR.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/target-killing-canadian-operations/article22458161/

Jacob

Sony is closing their stores in Canada too. Mexx is bankrupt. Le Chateau is on their way out, and I think Sears is pretty much done. Several other chains are hurting too.

Things are being shaken up a bit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2015, 06:02:20 PM
The attempt by Target to enter the Canadian marketplace comes to an end. Billions lost and almost 20,000 people losing their jobs =  FUBAR.

Quote"We missed the mark from the beginning by taking on too much too fast," Mr. Cornell said.

These guys never learn.  Planting a new retail model into a foreign country, or even Canada for that matter, never works when they drop the hammer all at once.

QuoteOn Thursday, in Target's filings, it asked the court to approve an employee trust, entailing what he said is an unprecedented move. The retailer plans to set up a $70-million (Canadian) trust to provide almost all Target Canada employees with a minimum of 16 weeks of wages and benefits coverage during the wind-down period.

:lol:  Yeah, it's a foreign country alright.  They wouldn't even think about doing that here.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2015, 06:46:33 PM

These guys never learn.  Planting a new retail model into a foreign country, or even Canada for that matter, never works when they drop the hammer all at once.

Yeah no joke. They really blew it on the real estate front especially.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2015, 06:46:33 PM
:lol:  Yeah, it's a foreign country alright.  They wouldn't even think about doing that here.

Yeah, they are doing this because unpaid statutory severance triggers a personal liability for directors of the company.