And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on January 20, 2014, 10:41:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 20, 2014, 07:47:49 PM
You know damned good and well I can not.

I don't know that. We live in a world where Lettow is marrying a hot (and thin!) japanese woman. You have it in you.

I'm not either.  I'm probably going out with a hottish if likely not terribly thin white woman (you can only fight a losing war so long) this weekend.  Lettow is young; he'll be trained not to spit in the fan soon enough.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Zeit Online runs an article about the Syrian regime torturing and killing up to 11,000 insurgents.

90% of the comments below are variations of "Why are we calling them out when the West (USA/UK) aren't any better", "There should be interventions to stop the crimes in Syria and the US", "Do the photos match the other fake evidence against the Assad regime?"

And a comment pointing out that this article sources The Guardian which also ran the first articles about the NSA surveillance programs is answered with, "And? I'm just using critical thinking! P.S.: USA worse than Syria!"

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I think the disgusting part is that you would get the same gist of comments on all German/Austrian news sites, from liberal to conservative. Being against Evil AmeriKKKan Military/Cultural/Economic Imperialism is as popular as ever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2014, 12:47:39 AM
I think the disgusting part is that you would get the same gist of comments on all German/Austrian news sites, from liberal to conservative. Being against Evil AmeriKKKan Military/Cultural/Economic Imperialism is as popular as ever.

:swiss:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on January 21, 2014, 12:44:55 AM
Zeit Online runs an article about the Syrian regime torturing and killing up to 11,000 insurgents.

90% of the comments below are variations of "Why are we calling them out when the West (USA/UK) aren't any better", "There should be interventions to stop the crimes in Syria and the US", "Do the photos match the other fake evidence against the Assad regime?"

And a comment pointing out that this article sources The Guardian which also ran the first articles about the NSA surveillance programs is answered with, "And? I'm just using critical thinking! P.S.: USA worse than Syria!"

I think the retardation of the people posting the comments to news articles is a worldwide phenomenon, it's just that people are being retarded about different things.  Here in US, if there is an article about Putin, for example, he would be compared favorably to Obama, who of course is tirelessly trying to impose a Marxist dictatorship.  It seems like these comments sections attract the most outspoken of idiots, as well as reinforce their stupid views.  This is probably one of the modern phenomena were humanity took a step backwards by trying to take a step forward.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2014, 12:11:48 AM
I'm not either.  I'm probably going out with a hottish if likely not terribly thin white woman (you can only fight a losing war so long) this weekend.  Lettow is young; he'll be trained not to spit in the fan soon enough.

Trying to land a really thin girl in the deep south is like trying to land a salt water fish by fishing in a lake.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

I think I have had too much coffee today. I am not feeling particularly well.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on January 21, 2014, 09:11:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2014, 12:11:48 AM

Trying to land a really thin girl in the deep south is like trying to land a salt water fish by fishing in a lake.

Our high schools are full of them.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Why are your high schools filled with salt water fish?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2014, 08:35:35 AM

I think the retardation of the people posting the comments to news articles is a worldwide phenomenon, it's just that people are being retarded about different things.  Here in US, if there is an article about Putin, for example, he would be compared favorably to Obama, who of course is tirelessly trying to impose a Marxist dictatorship.  It seems like these comments sections attract the most outspoken of idiots, as well as reinforce their stupid views.  This is probably one of the modern phenomena were humanity took a step backwards by trying to take a step forward.

:yes:

There's a reason most people shouldn't have a voice. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on January 21, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
Why are your high schools filled with salt water fish?

The world needs marine biologists so our schools are doing their part.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

It would help if the US didn't publically champion the systematic use of torture.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I seriously doubt that you could find a mainstream online media source for which 90% of the comments unfavorably compare Obama to Putin and accuse him of trying to impose a Marxist dictatorship.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

I seriously doubt that you could find a mainstream online media source for which 90% of the comments unfavorably compare Obama to Putin and accuse him of trying to impose a Marxist dictatorship.

However, on yahoonews - you'd be pretty good for the bit I put in bold.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2014, 12:01:42 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 20, 2014, 07:10:54 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 20, 2014, 07:04:52 PM
What's awesome is what kat and the Brain finally agree on something and they're both wrong.

Uh no we are not.

fagdiz is squirming like crazy trying to save some dignity after making a fool of himself. Poor soul doesn't realize that a tie-breaker isn't a points system.

The only folks who look like fools in soccer are the ones who roll around on the ground like someone's just taken their leg off when they get tapped by a defender.
and the horse you rode in on