News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 06:52:41 PM
Aren't half of the population of The United States bandwagon Steeler fans?

FIFY

Man if I go to any sports bar anywhere in Texas on Sunday there will be a group of freaking Steelers fans there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2009, 08:09:57 PM
FIFY

Man if I go to any sports bar anywhere in Texas on Sunday there will be a group of freaking Steelers fans there.

Yeah, at every goddamned airport I fly through I see 3 or 4 retards wearing Steelers jerseys.  Almost makes me miss the mid-90s when all the bandwagon morons were Cowboys fans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

charliebear

Quote from: Agelastus on September 23, 2009, 04:26:14 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2009, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2009, 03:17:57 PM
Surely British education can't be this bad, can it?
We're told Autumn= September, October, November.
No mention of equinoxes.

Checking up on things both are right.
1st September is Meteorological, today Offset Astronomical (whatever offset means here)

I refute this 100% - most people I know treat the equinox's as the start and close of seasons. The others I haven't asked.

Is it me?  I make a siimple statement and it causes consternation.  For example:

- it's not safe to drink from the backyard hose
- hockey is played on ice
- Autumn begins on September 21

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on September 23, 2009, 04:44:09 PM
I just received my e-mail invitation to the Detroit Historical Society preview of the museum's new exhibitions.  The e-mail was tilted "Your Invited!"  :bleeding:

Which way was it tilted?

charliebear

I recently moved to a new house.  Before moving, I transferred my utilities to the new address.  All was fine...until yesterday.  I received a notice from Consumers Energy (gas utility) that I had to go to one of their customer service facilities and verify who I am.  They required that I show picture id, my social security card, and proof of my lease for the new house.  I had until October 2 before they shut the gas off if I failed to do so. 

Well, ok.  I did that, and I asked the Consumers Energy folks why I had to jump through hoops for them.  I told them I had been their customer for over ten years.  They told me it was a new federal requirement to prevent fraud.  Has anyone else heard of such nonsense?

DisturbedPervert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrlD22HwPvI

Australian dust storm so intense it turns the sky in to dark time

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

I dispute that.
There's no way Britain scores so low.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

The networks have this well in hand.  They're making TV more and more unwatchable every year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 24, 2009, 05:17:35 PM
I dispute that.
There's no way Britain scores so low.

I concur - something is wrong with the figures there.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if they estimate the amount of time you view pre-recorded material (DVDs etc.) in these television viewing figures? After all, you're sitting in front of the same box.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Over 8 hours a day - on average?

That simply can't be right. People work and sleep ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2009, 05:34:30 PM
Over 8 hours a day - on average?

That simply can't be right. People work and sleep ...

Sounds pretty bogus to me as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

So...New Heroes and the villains seem to be...a creepy carnival. WTF. :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

So..I just went out to a late dinner with the wife at some little Chinese food joint, and encountered a rather strange...scene.  The only two other people at the place, aside from the staff, were these two old dudes sitting at a table in the middle of the room discussing alternative energy sources and hybrid cars in an incredibly loud manner.  They were like...yelling in each others faces about how much they agreed with each other.  :huh: