News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
—Hunter S. Thompson - February 3, 2003

Fear is the mind-killer.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Heard on CNN that Bill Richardson has been in Cuba for a while now trying to negotiate the release of an American arrested for something or other.  He just gave up and is coming home.  This is the guy who ran for president on his 7th level Master Negotiator skilz.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2011, 05:59:36 PM
Heard on CNN that Bill Richardson has been in Cuba for a while now trying to negotiate the release of an American arrested for something or other.  He just gave up and is coming home.  This is the guy who ran for president on his 7th level Master Negotiator skilz.

Fidel is a 19th level Lich and 10th level Rice Cooker.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2011, 05:01:50 PM
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."

I'm a slave to loathing, myself.  To each his own.

P.S. I look pretty boss in my new suit.  Was just wearing it doing errands to see how it fit.  You could just about see the clerk start lubricating.  Neat.  Edit: my good looks have betrayed me.  She was too distracted to give me the right cigarettes.  WTF is a Camel Menthol Silver?  Wiki, and... aw, lights?  Fuck.
P.P.S. nott hott.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Fear is the mind-killer.

Yeah, mister blow my own brains out knows a lot about fear. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2011, 09:43:58 PM

Fear is the mind-killer.

Wouldn't suicide suggest he would know a lot about fear? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 10:04:16 PM

Fear is the mind-killer.

I guess in his case, a 12-gauge full of buckshot is the mind-killer.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 10:04:16 PM

Fear is the mind-killer.

I meant to imply that he did - far too much in fact.

Mostly though I'm just pissed that one of my favourite writers took the cowards way out. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2011, 10:45:51 AM
Having failed last week to early vote in the special election due to the polls being closed early, I was able to vote on the way to work this morning. There were seven poll workers there and I was the only voter. Yay?

QuoteA fraction of the city's electorate trickled into polls for Tuesday's primary — a turnout that's expected to be one of the lowest in Baltimore's history.

Only about 62,000 Baltimore residents had voted in the election as of 7 p.m. — an hour before polls closed, according to elections officials. That total, which included ballots cast during early voting, amounts to less than 20 percent of registered voters and about 10 percent of the city's 630,000 population.

Kleves

Why was Doc Manhattan wasted vaporizing VC? That's why we had B-52s. Why wasn't Manhattan doing something useful, like vaporizing the Kremlin? Though, come to think of it, we had B-52s for that, too. Still, you'd think Führer Nixon could have thought of something.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on September 14, 2011, 12:12:44 AM
Why was Doc Manhattan wasted vaporizing VC? That's why we had B-52s. Why wasn't Manhattan doing something useful, like vaporizing the Kremlin? Though, come to think of it, we had B-52s for that, too. Still, you'd think Führer Nixon could have thought of something.

I thought the point was that Manhattan was vaporizing individuals positively ID'd as enemy combatants, so he didn't raise all the moral questions of "WHY ARE YOU BOMBING CHILDREN?!!!" that B-52s would get.  Regular infantry could do that do, but Manhattan could do it very rapidly, and in a highly demoralizing way.

However, Manhattan was an excellent deterrent, as a walking ABM, but he wasn't perfect.  I don't know if they raise this in the movie, but it's explicit in the book that he could not completely defend the United States from a Soviet attack, or even a Soviet counter-attack.  Of course, Alan Moore also overestimated nuclear weapons and a preemptive strike with Manhattan on continental shield duty appears to have been a more feasible option than he gave it credit for, although not a politically desirable one.
Kinemalogue

Josquius

My computer is freakishly sensitive these days. The slightest knock and the USBs briefly disconnect. Wonder why.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2011, 03:58:33 PM
No idea what a panic attack is like.

Like having a heart attack. Got one of those after a particularly bad week in constant back pain, being able to get just 2 hours of sleep a day.