Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 11:26:20 AM
For what it's worth, a lot of West Virginians make their way to DC (strip clubs are full of them) and I've spent a whole week in Harlan County.  I couldn't pick any difference between the two accents.

They are pretty much the same.  As a West Virginian I would say the Eastern KY accent is just more pronounced.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 12:00:46 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 11:56:14 AM
What I imagine Ide sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Huh. Lots of that in the Okie side of the family. But then the family is originally from the Appalachia part of Ohio and West Virginia. This is pretty much how my Grandfather said his father talked and he was born in Gallia County Ohio.

That part of Ohio is basically an extension of WV.  My brother is engaged to a girl in Gallipolis :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 12:57:50 PM
When I have the energy, I like to return to my birthplace with the accent of The Valley.

Joking aside, is their a male version of Valleyspeak?

I don't think so. Maybe its kin would be something like surfer speak?

That said, there are many gay wannabe valley girls.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:01:54 PM
I always picture BB posting while using his curling broom in a Mounties uniform.

:rolleyes:

I'm no mountie.  I'm a barrister.  I post while wearing my barrister's robes.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 01:23:58 PM

I'm no mountie.  I'm a barrister.  I post while wearing my barrister's robes.

Are you wearing a wig? Otherwise no deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2015, 08:44:12 AM
My accent changes based on where I live.  Despite people's skepticism I swear it isn't intentional. :blush:

I had lunch in San Francisco with a high school friend back in March, and within like ten seconds of talking to me he was like "Wow, I can tell you live in the South now."

You probably didn't correct him either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2015, 01:37:07 PM
Isn't that what Ruth Bader Ginsberg wears?  :unsure:

It looks what the guy on the Quaker oats can wears.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2015, 10:57:17 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 08:46:06 AM
Dorsey, what did you think of Ide's accent?  ^_^

It isn't nearly as strong as you guys claim.

But, within the spectrum of southern accents, his is a low class hillbilly one. Sorry Ide.  :(

I am looking soooo forward to moving up to Pennsylvania. <_<

And I'm not a Stalinist, per se.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 11:56:14 AM
What I imagine Ide sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

I dunno.  When I'm upset or excited, maybe.  I don't say "y'all" ever.

I don't sound like Gomer Pyle.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Seems the witchhunt has gone so far as to call for exhuming Forrest's body. Such indecency!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2015, 02:31:13 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2015, 10:57:17 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2015, 08:46:06 AM
Dorsey, what did you think of Ide's accent?  ^_^

It isn't nearly as strong as you guys claim.

But, within the spectrum of southern accents, his is a low class hillbilly one. Sorry Ide.  :(

I am looking soooo forward to moving up to Pennsylvania. <_<

And I'm not a Stalinist, per se.
I look forward to seeing the conversations between you and the yinzers.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son