Treasury Department to Put a Woman on the $10 Bill in 2020

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2016, 03:11:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 21, 2016, 01:36:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2016, 06:40:12 AM
I'm not sure I understand the issue with that statement.

Jackson was a self taught populist frontier lawyer who leveraged military fame into the presidency.  Not a member of any political or economic elite.

He was a very rich planter with over a hundred slaves, and Congressmen and a Senator before becoming President.  What else is require to be economic or political elite?

The Adams Family

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2016, 03:11:53 PM

Jackson was a self taught populist frontier lawyer who leveraged military fame into the presidency.  Not a member of any political or economic elite.

He was a very rich planter with over a hundred slaves, and Congressmen and a Senator before becoming President.  What else is require to be economic or political elite?

Jackson was a populist, and the political elites of his day hated that.  Trump's wealthy as fuck, and the political elites hate him, too.  It's not about the money.

Valmy

The entire reason he was famous was precisely because he set himself up as anti-elite and the candidate of the common man. Even his military stuff, he was a militia officer leading tough frontier militia. He was a rabid populist with an almost pathological dislike for the Founding Fathers-type elites. So it is kind of pathetic that supposed academic was asked to quote on him while clearly having no damn clue who Andrew Jackson was or why he was considered a hero. Completely whiffing entirely is a bit more than a 'minor quibble' :P

After him instead of being like Washington or Jefferson all candidates had to pretend they were common salt who were born in log cabins. It was not just a style change either, the franchise was expanded in most states and things like appointing electors in Presidential Elections died out (except in South Carolina, but that was a silly place). His presidency was nearly a revolutionary moment in American history. He was on the $20 bill for a reason.

Of course he was a horrible human being whose policies were often disastrous...but that is pretty par for the course for populist 'man-of-the-people' types. His fucking with the Native Americans was just part of that. The snobby Supreme Court wanted it done one way, but a man of action does not have time for that namby-pamby shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 21, 2016, 05:28:48 PM
He is usually considered one of the richest presidents of the USA.

Which was something counter to his image so not the reason he was considered a hero at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Presumably everyone who ends up on a bill is there for a reason.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on April 21, 2016, 10:00:41 PM
Jackson was a populist, and the political elites of his day hated that.  Trump's wealthy as fuck, and the political elites hate him, too.  It's not about the money.

Yeah. Jackson was a Westerner who made shitloads of money as a nouveau riche type through the plantation boom. Exactly the kind of man the elites hated and resented.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2016, 01:36:59 PM
Presumably everyone who ends up on a bill is there for a reason.

Yes. So stating what that reason was instead of a bunch of stuff that suggests one is completely ignorant is not an impressive thing for an Academic to do.

garbon

Actually the Treasury says that they do not have 'the reason' recorded.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

By the way I heartily endorse this change. Frankly I would like to see more people, non politicians preferably, put on the bills over time. Presuming we keep using cash that much longer anyway. I preferred the old money with metaphorical images over all these political people anyway.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2016, 01:44:19 PM

Ok well it would be more impressive if he had actually described Andrew Jackson and not George Washington when listing the reasons he was previously a hero :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2016, 01:46:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2016, 01:44:19 PM

Ok well it would be more impressive if he had actually described Andrew Jackson and not George Washington when listing the reasons he was previously a hero :lol:

It isn't clear to me the description was about what people thought in Jackson's time or what people thought in the 20s when he was added to the bill. From my long distance perspective looks like Jackson just heralded one group of white people taking on elite status from a different group.

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2016, 05:27:06 AM
Churchill is the dark side of the UK that we're trying to get away from. Imperialist. Racist. Classist....Not the face 21st century Britain wants at all.
Kid, I generally like you but sometimes I think you're a loon, and this is one of those times.  Churchill was one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century.  I don't know how anyone can sanely dispute that.  I know you've already gotten beaten up a little bit for this, but for a comment like that you totally need to be dogpiled.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Him being one of the greatest ever doesn't make him immune from criticism, though.  And Churchill was racist and imperialist, both things that we should be avoiding.  That tarnishes his greatness, but doesn't remove it.  It strikes me as similar to noting that the Founding Fathers, while great, were still slaveowners at the end of the day.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2016, 01:52:45 PM
From my long distance perspective looks like Jackson just heralded one group of white people taking on elite status from a different group.

So was the Russian Revolution. So therefore nothing of significance happened in Russia between 1917 and 1922 I guess? :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 22, 2016, 03:40:55 PM
And Churchill was racist and imperialist, both things that we should be avoiding.

Basically their Teddy Roosevelt. Besides history rarely gives us easy labels for people.