Treasury Department to Put a Woman on the $10 Bill in 2020

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Bills featuring Hamilton — the nation's first treasury secretary and creator of its monetary system — will remain in circulation, and an unspecified proportion of new $10 bills will continue to feature him, Lew said. 

He'll still be on some of the bills anyway, whatever percentage they come up with. In this article it didn't suggest  who the woman might be. I wonder who will get the nod?

Valmy

Wow what an admirably logical move by the Treasuring department. Better than having the Chase Manhattan CEO on them in any case :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2015, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 09:15:18 AM
Quote from: chipwich on June 18, 2015, 06:02:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2015, 11:16:33 PM
See Canadians have no problem finding important female figure that truly contributed to Canada's history to put on their money.  And by 2020, that requirement about living person might not be a problem.

What exactly did Elizabeth II contribute to Canada's history?
that was sarcasm :)
there are many Canadian historical figures we could have put on our money, but our anglo friends absolutely want to see the Queen everywhere :(

Just consider yourself lucky we don't want to see her naked.  :P
well, that new princess... :perv:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

The only reason she will be getting naked is to have her diaper changed  :yuk:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2015, 03:16:52 PM
The only reason she will be getting naked is to have her diaper changed  :yuk:
Well, shit, I forgot about that one :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2015, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 17, 2015, 10:58:14 PM
I say we get rid of humans from the bills and celebrate America's other fauna. Buffalo, coyotes, eagles, turkeys, cougars, etc.

Better yet, do what Hong Kong does.  Outsource the whole note printing operation to private banks.  They bear all the costs, and get free advertisement.  They can put their stuff on the money.

This was done once.  It was a disaster.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_banking
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2015, 12:31:16 PM
I say we get rid of humans from the bills and celebrate America's other fauna. Buffalo, coyotes, eagles, turkeys, cougars, etc.

Better yet, do what Hong Kong does.  Outsource the whole note printing operation to private banks.  They bear all the costs, and get free advertisement.  They can put their stuff on the money.

This was done once.  It was a disaster.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_banking

Right, because unregulated and outright fraudulent private banks are equivalent to large, well-regulated private banks. :mellow:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 18, 2015, 12:41:56 AM
There is probably a secret Treasury rule that the irony of Jackson's mug on a Federal Reserve note must be maintained.

He'd be so pissed if he was alive. It's amusing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 19, 2015, 02:32:20 PM

Right, because unregulated and outright fraudulent private banks are equivalent to large, well-regulated private banks. :mellow:

How do you find out if a bank is underegulated and outright fraudulent?  When there's a disaster. Or is Washington Mutual an example of one of these well-regulated banks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2015, 10:55:48 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 17, 2015, 10:37:06 PM
Woman on the $10, MLK on the $20  :cool:

We will only be allowed to have Presidents on money in the future. The woman will be Hillary Clinton :P

Not a bad choice. First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, President... quite a resume.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 19, 2015, 02:32:20 PM

Did you sleep through 2008?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2015, 08:35:56 AM
I've made my peace with a woman being on paper money at some point.  The irony of removing Hamilton is pretty galling, though.  And if they move forward with that Harriet Tubman proposal I swear that will give kids nightmares.  Don't get me wrong, she was an awesome lady and deserving of the recognition but Lord she had a face for radio.

Hannah Duston was a badass. First American woman to get a statue even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Duston

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Monoriu

That's not what we do.  Only the actual design of the notes and printing are left to the private banks.  How many notes they can print is heavily regulated. 

It says, HSBC promises to pay the bearer on demand at its office here 100 HK dollars, by order of the board of directors.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Legbiter on June 21, 2015, 06:57:22 PM
Hannah Duston was a badass. First American woman to get a statue even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Duston

The moral of her story is, if you're going to be kidnapped by Indians, it's best to come from a family of psychos.