Treasury Department to Put a Woman on the $10 Bill in 2020

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on June 17, 2015, 11:21:26 PM
Better yet, do what Hong Kong does.  Outsource the whole note printing operation to private banks.  They bear all the costs, and get free advertisement.  They can put their stuff on the money.

This kind of parsimony leads to 1-ply toilet paper in public buildings. No thanks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

We're getting some real rearded choices on our new bills. Random opera singers and movie directors and shit. Heaven forbid you put a giant like Anders Chydenius on a bill! :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2015, 11:16:33 PM
See Canadians have no problem finding important female figure that truly contributed to Canada's history to put on their money.  And by 2020, that requirement about living person might not be a problem.

What exactly did Elizabeth II contribute to Canada's history?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2015, 04:15:42 AM
We're getting some real rearded choices on our new bills. Random opera singers and movie directors and shit. Heaven forbid you put a giant like Anders Chydenius on a bill! :rolleyes:

NO Ingmar Bergman on a Swedish banknote?! Absolutely appalling!

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on June 18, 2015, 06:02:15 AM

She has been the head of state for over sixty years. :contract:

So nothing at all really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

A woman who campaigned to get Jane Austen on British banknotes received 50 rape and death threats a day over social media. Feminism still has a long way to go.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/24/two-jailed-twitter-abuse-feminist-campaigner

derspiess

I've made my peace with a woman being on paper money at some point.  The irony of removing Hamilton is pretty galling, though.  And if they move forward with that Harriet Tubman proposal I swear that will give kids nightmares.  Don't get me wrong, she was an awesome lady and deserving of the recognition but Lord she had a face for radio.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on June 18, 2015, 08:29:48 AM
A woman who campaigned to get Jane Austen on British banknotes received 50 rape and death threats a day over social media. Feminism still has a long way to go.

Only 50? Social media is horrible.

And Feminism will never make people non-shitty. Hobbes was right.

#hobbeswasright
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2015, 12:48:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2015, 12:45:37 AM
I wholeheartedly recommend putting Liz II on American currency. :menace:
I'm fine with it as long we're forming a North American superstate. ^_^
one nation under God's representative?  Could work.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

See Canadians have no problem finding important female figure that truly contributed to Canada's history to put on their money.  And by 2020, that requirement about living person might not be a problem.

that was sarcasm :)
there are many Canadian historical figures we could have put on our money, but our anglo friends absolutely want to see the Queen everywhere :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 09:15:18 AM

that was sarcasm :)
there are many Canadian historical figures we could have put on our money, but our anglo friends absolutely want to see the Queen everywhere :(

Just consider yourself lucky we don't want to see her naked.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius