FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2015, 10:25:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 10:24:04 AM
Blatter in his opening speech: these are the deeds of a few individuals; we can't allow the reputation of football to be dragged into the dirt by these people; only a small minority in all of football are corrupt etc. etc.

Well he has a point.  The vast majority of people involved in the sport are not corrupt.  It is just the small minority who run FIFA that are of concern.

He is uniquely positioned to comment on just how many people in FIFA are corrupt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2015, 10:56:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2015, 10:25:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 10:24:04 AM
Blatter in his opening speech: these are the deeds of a few individuals; we can't allow the reputation of football to be dragged into the dirt by these people; only a small minority in all of football are corrupt etc. etc.

Well he has a point.  The vast majority of people involved in the sport are not corrupt.  It is just the small minority who run FIFA that are of concern.

He is uniquely positioned to comment on just how many people in FIFA are corrupt.
:lol:

Admiral Yi

It's smart to try to spin it as an attack on futbol itself instead of the organization.

Is anyone aware of any internet chatter *defending* FIFA?  Besides Putin that is.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 11:01:30 AM
It's smart to try to spin it as an attack on futbol itself instead of the organization.

I guess although it presumes extreme levels of gullibility on the part of listeners.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 28, 2015, 11:03:57 AM
I guess although it presumes extreme levels of gullibility on the part of listeners.

Can you think of a better way to play this hand?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 11:05:13 AM

Can you think of a better way to play this hand?

Nope.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Clearly it is part of a plot by US sports leagues (using their immeasurable influence over the US Government) to tarnish the competition.

DGuller

Seems like a plot to take 2018 World Cup away from Russia under shaky pretenses.

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 28, 2015, 10:23:30 AM
The whole rotten structure needs to be torn down. Won't happen though.

Where do you stop? I think UEFA isn't much better than FIFA, and I wouldn't want to vouch for German DFB, or the officials of big clubs in Germany, tbh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 11:30:52 AM
Where do you stop? I think UEFA isn't much better than FIFA, and I wouldn't want to vouch for German DFB, or the officials of big clubs in Germany, tbh.

Make it a state responsibility.  The countries with rotten politics will remain rotten, but at least you get clean reps from countries with clean politics.

Barrister

The wide variety of organizations involved in soccer is positively dizzying.

For my kids U6 team there's the following hierarchy of organizations:

Twin Brooks Community League (not strictly soccer)
South-West Edmonton Minor Soccer Association
Edmonton Minro Soccer Association
Alberts Soccer Association
Soccer Canada
FIFA
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Barrister

Good point - I forgot them.  Inbetween Soccer Canada and FIFA.

There's probably another couple levels I'm forgetting too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

A good friend of mine is a FIFA official, or rather, he is a soccer official who is FIFA certified at the local youth/school level.

One thing that is kind of cool about FIFA from an officiating standpoint is that there is a clear advancement path, since there is a clear organizational chain from youth all the way up to (theoretically) the World Cup.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2015, 11:35:25 AM

The wide variety of organizations involved in soccer is positively dizzying.

For my kids U6 team there's the following hierarchy of organizations:

Twin Brooks Community League (not strictly soccer)
South-West Edmonton Minor Soccer Association
Edmonton Minro Soccer Association
Alberts Soccer Association
Soccer Canada
FIFA

That just seems a pretty straight-forward geographic pyramid.