FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2015, 07:53:22 AM
The World Cup in Hong Kong? They would have to rip down the entire city just to make room.
Yeah, but think of all the economic activity that would be generated.

DGuller

Here is what I don't understand about FIFA:  why are European and South American associations, the ones that actually play football, going along with an organization that relies on bribing Asian and African countries to govern?  Can't UEFA and CONMEBOL (tee-hee) band together and start an organization that doesn't give the same number of votes to Afghanistan as it does to Germany?  Yes, Asian and African countries may balk, but then they can stick with FIFA and see if anyone cares when Chad plays Nepal in the World Cup finals.

Syt

Rumors say that if Blatter is re-elected, UEFA members consider withdrawing from FIFA tournaments.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2015, 09:51:14 AM
Here is what I don't understand about FIFA:  why are European and South American associations, the ones that actually play football, going along with an organization that relies on bribing Asian and African countries to govern?  Can't UEFA and CONMEBOL (tee-hee) band together and start an organization that doesn't give the same number of votes to Afghanistan as it does to Germany?  Yes, Asian and African countries may balk, but then they can stick with FIFA and see if anyone cares when Chad plays Nepal in the World Cup finals.

I think you are demonstrating two incorrect assumptions.  FIFA is taking bribes to award hosting rights, not handing them out.  2nd, Europe and Latin America are not exactly bastions of opposition to corruption.

Josephus

Agree with Guller.

Hell with World Cups, which FIFA would own the name to.

UEFA winner v. Copa America winner for title of Champion of the World
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Blatter's April tweet on (now arrested) Jeffrey Webb's re-election:

QuoteCongratulations to @jeffreywebb for his re-election as @CONCACAF President and FIFA Vice-President! This shows the trust in his leadership.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 09:57:15 AM

I think you are demonstrating two incorrect assumptions.  FIFA is taking bribes to award hosting rights, not handing them out.  2nd, Europe and Latin America are not exactly bastions of opposition to corruption.

Show me a major international sports body that's not corrupt and I'll show you a sport that's making so little money that corruption isn't worth it. (And the national organizations are often not better.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Bribing goes two ways.  How is FIFA leadership getting elected in the first place?  That's right, by getting Afghanistan, Chad, and Nepal to vote for them.  I'm sure they have nothing but football interests at heart.

As for resistance to corruption, sure, almost everyone is corrupt to some extent.  But at least Europe is less corrupt than any other continent, and they actually have some interest in the sport, which may put pressure on decisions to not be 100% based on bribes.

Admiral Yi

You think Europe is less corrupt than North America? 

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on May 28, 2015, 10:06:02 AM

Bribing goes two ways.  How is FIFA leadership getting elected in the first place?  That's right, by getting Afghanistan, Chad, and Nepal to vote for them.  I'm sure they have nothing but football interests at heart.

Blatter is pretty open with giving gifts. After the last World Cup, each FA got 2,000,000 or thereabouts, IIRC. Peanuts for the FA or the DFB, but huge sums for small island nations or many African states.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Don't get hung up too much onto the technicalities of jurisdiction DG.
US law enforcement reach is like a public sector version of Ricardian competitive advantage in action - the US Attorneys and the DOJ are just better and more experienced at dealing with this kind of sprawling corruption and fraud than most other national authorities.  Since there isn't an international body to handle this sort of thing, the US DOJ naturally fills the gap.

This often creates annoyances overseas but in this particular instance, no one seems too concerned about US overreach here; instead the view seems to be relief that someone somewhere is willing to take the shovel into the Augean stables of FIFA.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 10:08:20 AM
You think Europe is less corrupt than North America?
The northern part of it, yes.  The Mediterranean part of it, not so much.

FunkMonk

The whole rotten structure needs to be torn down. Won't happen though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Blatter in his opening speech: these are the deeds of a few individuals; we can't allow the reputation of football to be dragged into the dirt by these people; only a small minority in all of football are corrupt etc. etc.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 10:24:04 AM
Blatter in his opening speech: these are the deeds of a few individuals; we can't allow the reputation of football to be dragged into the dirt by these people; only a small minority in all of football are corrupt etc. etc.

Well he has a point.  The vast majority of people involved in the sport are not corrupt.  It is just the small minority who run FIFA that are of concern.