FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2015, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2015, 03:26:38 PM
You get upset by every single crime?

Yes.  Yes I do.

You know there's a hypothesis that humanity as a whole is in a galactic gaol? Maybe it's not necessary to obsessively put everyone in Machiavellian pound-you-in-the-ass gaol. Yeah. Think about that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2015, 03:34:30 PM

Yes.  Yes I do.

You know there's a hypothesis that humanity as a whole is in a galactic gaol? Maybe it's not necessary to obsessively put everyone in Machiavellian pound-you-in-the-ass gaol. Yeah. Think about that.

Hypothesis considered, and rejected.  I believe in the healing power of gaol.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2015, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2015, 03:34:30 PM

Yes.  Yes I do.

Hypothesis considered, and rejected.  I believe in the healing power of gaol.

Sexual healing. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Well, BDSM has been reported by many to be quite liberating.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 11:30:52 AM
Where do you stop? I think UEFA isn't much better than FIFA, and I wouldn't want to vouch for German DFB, or the officials of big clubs in Germany, tbh.

Make it a state responsibility.  The countries with rotten politics will remain rotten, but at least you get clean reps from countries with clean politics.

So we'd have clean soccer reps from Botswana where else?  San Marino, maybe? 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 28, 2015, 02:34:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 28, 2015, 11:52:50 AM
For the next decade plus the World Cup should just be played in pre existing facilities in Europe, maybe in the US or Japan.

We had that we started to listen to the 3rd world crying about how they never have the World Cup. Hence the bribing became the official way of doing business.

I still can't believe we're having the WC in Qatar where everything has to be built! When the US can just pick 22 stadium from a list of hundreds.
Built with literal slave labor, thousands of which will die.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

So the investigation into the 2018/2022 World Cups has supposedly been started by request of FIFA. Since Blatter yesterday didn't take credit for it, who made that request? Because it would have been easy for him to present himself as the guy cleaning up FIFA at long last.

And I wouldn't put it beyond him to throw a few of his cronies under the bus if it would help create the impression that FIFA is getting cleaned up. Or to scrub the books as much as possible before initiating a criminal investigation that would exonerate FIFA.

His defense of "I can't watch everyone, all the time," is a bit weak. It's not unheard of that people who are "surprised" by massive misbehavior of their underlings right under their nose take responsibility and step down because of their personal failure to prevent it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

To make sure the voting machines work everyone had to answer the question who won last year's World Cup.
About 5% of the delegates picked the wrong answer.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Surprised it was not higher, given their knowledge and love of football.

Norgy

Blatter's been pulling the strings in FIFA from 1981 (!!!), and the level of corruption is his making.

Now, the candidate facing him is a Jordanian prince, which hardly instils me with confidence in FIFA's ability to sort this out. At least Norway's football federation's stated their representative won't vote for Sepp.

The best solution would be for the UEFA (which is crooked enough) to leave FIFA and let the rest of the world just fry in its own fat.
Bungs and bribes have made Blatter and his cronies popular in Africa and Asia.

Syt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11637602/Fifa-corruption-crisis-Jack-Warner-out-dancing-hours-after-leaving-prison-on-medical-grounds.html

QuoteFifa corruption crisis: Jack Warner out dancing hours after leaving prison on medical grounds

Disgraced former Fifa vice-president enjoys himself at a political rally after leaving prison in an ambulance earlier the same day

Jack Warner was seen looking fit and well at a political rally on Thursday night, just hours after leaving prison in an ambulance on medical grounds.

The disgraced former Fifa vice-president was arrested on corruption charges on Wednesday and spent a night in the state prison of Port of Spain in his native Trinidad and Tobago.

He was granted bail on Thursday having complained of exhaustion, but by the evening was feeling perky enough to attend a political rally.

The rally was organised by his Independent Liberal Party in Chagaunas, Trinidad and Tobago, where Warner is trying to unseat the current Prime Minister, Kamla Persad-Bissessa.

The former Fifa supremo was asked about the corruption charges, and responded: "I have been in Fifa for 30 years and if I took that money, who gave it to me? Why are only officials in third world countries being charged?".

I guess that's another vote for the "USA hates the world" conspiracy theory.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2015, 03:13:38 AM
To make sure the voting machines work everyone had to answer the question who won last year's World Cup.
About 5% of the delegates picked the wrong answer.  :lol:

The Brazilian delegates, I guess.

Norgy

One thing that's rarely brought to light is that several national federations in Africa only have funding directly from FIFA.
The whole system is built on clientilism.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2015, 11:30:52 AM
Where do you stop? I think UEFA isn't much better than FIFA, and I wouldn't want to vouch for German DFB, or the officials of big clubs in Germany, tbh.

Make it a state responsibility.  The countries with rotten politics will remain rotten, but at least you get clean reps from countries with clean politics.

:lmfao: