Militarization of South China Sea & East China Sea. Six Wars Necessary

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2015, 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Good

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/08/asia-pacific/u-s-deploy-thaad-missile-defense-south-korea-china-slams-decision/#.V39OhnXr3hA

U.S. to deploy THAAD missile defense system in South Korea; China says move is 'damaging'

AP, Staff Report

SEOUL – The U.S. and South Korea said Friday they are ready to deploy an advanced missile defense system in the South to cope with growing threats from Pyongyang.

Seoul and Washington launched formal talks on deploying the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD, after North Korea conducted a nuclear test and a long-range rocket launch earlier this year. Beijing and Moscow say THAAD deployment could help U.S. radars spot missiles in their countries.

The system fires projectiles that smash into enemy missiles high in their arc. Both China and Russia earlier described the proposed deployment as a bid to flex U.S. military muscle in the region.

In a statement, the American and South Korean defense ministries said the deployment will be a "defense measure to ensure the security of the ROK and its people," referring to the Republic of Korea.

China on Friday condemned the plan, saying the deployment will "seriously damage" regional security in Northeast Asia.

The Japanese government welcomed it.

Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Hagiuda said Japan supports the decision, adding that deployment of the system will contribute to regional peace and stability, reported by Kyodo News.

"Further cooperation between the U.S. and South Korea will benefit peace and stability in the region and we support the decision," it quoted Hagiuda as saying.

Later Friday, South Korean Deputy Defense Minister Yoo Jeh-seung told a nationally televised news conference that Seoul and Washington will quickly deploy the system because North Korea's growing weapons capabilities pose a big threat to the region.

He said the two countries are close to determining the best military location for THAAD while also satisfying environmental, health and safety standards.

At the same news conference, Lt. Gen. Thomas Vandal, the commanding general of the U.S. Eighth Army in South Korea, said the North's pursuit of weapons of mass destruction requires that the allies make sure they can defend themselves, and that THAAD is critical to their defensive strategy.

Separately, a senior Japanese Defense Ministry official told Kyodo that radars connected to the THAAD system will enable early detection of North Korean missiles, adding that this will be beneficial to defense cooperation between Tokyo and Washington.

Worries about North Korea grew last month when, after a string of failures, it finally sent a new mid-range ballistic missile more than 1,400 km high. Analysts say the high-altitude flight of the Musudan missile means that North Korea has made progress in its push to be able to strike U.S. forces throughout the region.

The Musudan's potential 3,500-km range puts much of Asia and the Pacific within reach.

North Korea is also trying to develop a long-range nuclear missile that can reach the continental U.S., but South Korean defense officials say Pyongyang does not yet possess such a weapon. Some believe, however, that the North does have the ability to mount nuclear warheads on shorter range missiles.

THAAD is also a sore spot between Washington and Pyongyang, which is a traditional ally of China.

Beijing in February agreed to the toughest U.N. sanctions yet to punish the North for its weapons development, and has vowed to implement them fully. But Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated Beijing's worries over the THAAD deployment when he met with U.S. President Barack Obama on the sidelines of a nuclear security summit in Washington in late March.

On Friday, the Foreign Ministry in Beijing swiftly criticized the move. "China expresses strong dissatisfaction and resolute objection to this," the ministry said in a statement posted on its website.

"Refrain from taking actions that complicate the region's situation and do not do things that harm China's strategic security interests," the statement said.

China said the missile defense system's deployment will not help bring about the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and is not conducive to peace in the region. The ministry said the move will "seriously damage" the security interests and strategic balance of the region.

North Korea has warned of a nuclear war in the region and has threatened to strengthen its armed forces if the missile deployment happens.

The deployment decision also comes after North Korea said Thursday that U.S. sanctions on leader Kim Jong Un and other top officials for human rights abuses is tantamount to declaring war.

North Korea has already been sanctioned heavily because of its nuclear weapons program. However, Wednesday's action by the Obama administration was the first time Kim has been personally targeted, and the first time that any North Korean official has been blacklisted by the U.S. Treasury in connection with reports of rights abuses.

The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea as deterrence against potential aggression from North Korea. China assisted North Korea during the 1950-53 Korean War, while American-led U.N. troops fought alongside South Korea.

Meanwhile, Friday's announcement tried to defuse concern among Seoul's neighbors. In their statement, the two sides said the system would only target potential attacks from North Korea.

"When the THAAD system is deployed to the Korean Peninsula, it will be focused solely on North Korean nuclear and missile threats and would not be directed toward any third party nations," it said. "The THAAD deployment will contribute to a layered missile defense that will enhance the alliance's existing missile defense capabilities against North Korean missile threats."

Many South Koreans worry that China, the South's biggest trading partner, will take economic retaliatory measures.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2016, 06:53:38 PM
This isn't even Kaiserreich "we don't get no respect" type arrogance and diplomatic ineptitude, this is lebensraum level we must wage war on the world stupidity.

they've been playing too much People's General.
I'm amazed how the Chinese hope to not be a nuclear parking spot by the end of it all.

Neil

I want the Chinese mainland shattered and its people living in privation as much as anyone, but I think that's War Plan Red sort of stuff.  They know how to do math, and attacking Okinawa isn't worth losing Beijing and their whole eastern coast.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Taiwan, Diouyu islands, South China sea, yes, I hear that almost every week.  South Tibet too, even though that's not mentioned very often. 

I have never heard that China wants Ryoku or land from Russia.  A few years ago, they made a big announcement that they ended all land disputes with Russia.  There was this island in the middle of a major river that they split into two halves.  I am not aware of any disputes with Mongolia.  If I am not mistaken, actually the Republic of China claims Mongolia, not the People's Republic of China.  When RoC still ruled China, Mongolia was within China's borders.  I am doing this from memory and they may have changed their official position. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 08, 2016, 07:58:26 PM
Taiwan, Diouyu islands, South China sea, yes, I hear that almost every week.  South Tibet too, even though that's not mentioned very often. 

I have never heard that China wants Ryoku or land from Russia.  A few years ago, they made a big announcement that they ended all land disputes with Russia.  There was this island in the middle of a major river that they split into two halves.  I am not aware of any disputes with Mongolia.  If I am not mistaken, actually the Republic of China claims Mongolia, not the People's Republic of China.  When RoC still ruled China, Mongolia was within China's borders.  I am doing this from memory and they may have changed their official position. 

I wouldn't take that stuff very seriously.

But if anybody asks you recommend China invade North Korea. Nobody will lift a finger.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 08, 2016, 02:15:36 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 07, 2016, 06:53:38 PM
This isn't even Kaiserreich "we don't get no respect" type arrogance and diplomatic ineptitude, this is lebensraum level we must wage war on the world stupidity.

they've been playing too much People's General.
I'm amazed how the Chinese hope to not be a nuclear parking spot by the end of it all.

Yeah, Chinese aggression that involves war with the US, Russia or India all end the same way.  It seems absurd that any major power can contemplate war with a nuclear armed nation in the age of Pax Atomica.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

And the ruling is in.

QuoteBeijing South China Sea claims rejected by court

An international tribunal has ruled against Chinese claims to rights in South China Sea, backing a case brought by the Philippines.

The Permanent Court of Arbitration said there was no evidence that China had historically exercised exclusive control over the waters or resources.

China described the ruling as "ill-founded".

China claims almost all of the South China Sea, including reefs and islands also claimed by others.

The tribunal in The Hague said China had violated the Philippines' sovereign rights. It also said China had caused "severe harm to the coral reef environment" by building artificial islands.

The ruling came from an arbitration tribunal under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), which both countries have signed.

The ruling is binding but the tribunal, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, has no powers of enforcement.

The US sent an aircraft carrier and fighter jets to the region ahead of the ruling, prompting an angry editorial in the Global Times, a strongly nationalist state-run newspaper, calling for the US to prepare for "military confrontation".

Meanwhile, the Chinese Navy has been carrying out exercises near the disputed Paracel islands.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36771749

Josquius

It also said China had caused "severe harm to the coral reef environment" by building artificial islands

Damn right. Stupid uneducated Fisher folk.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

QuoteChina described the ruling as "ill-founded".

Awww I wanted to hear what Vietnam and the Philippines thought of the ruling  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 08:45:06 AM
QuoteChina described the ruling as "ill-founded".

Awww I wanted to hear what Vietnam and the Philippines thought of the ruling  :(

What about Taiwan a.k.a China?  :P It's even better.  :lol:

QuoteTaiwan, which also claims the disputed area, said the ruling had "seriously damaged" its rights.
"We hereby solemnly state that we will definitely not accept this ruling," the foreign ministry said.

Valmy

I am sure you will reclaim the mainland any day now Taiwan.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 09:22:23 AM
I am sure you will reclaim the mainland any day now Taiwan.
They must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

A huge mistake.  China should be allowed control of the South China Sea.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 12, 2016, 09:54:57 AM
A huge mistake.  China should be allowed control of the South China Sea.

What possible difference does it make one way or the other?

Caliga

China's going to take those islands regardless.  Not worth risking a confrontation over.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points