Militarization of South China Sea & East China Sea. Six Wars Necessary

Started by jimmy olsen, May 13, 2015, 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 12, 2016, 09:58:04 AM
China's going to take those islands regardless.  Not worth risking a confrontation over.

Well yeah they invented those Islands.

It is all a bunch of posturing. Chill Cal despite what Timmay is leading you to believe there is not going to be anything of substance coming out of this farce.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

China's going to take those islands regardless.  Not worth risking a confrontation over.

Are you being serious?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ancient Demon

Caliga doesn't seem to think international law is worth anything. I guess it's ok for anyone to claim vast swathes of open ocean and dot it with artificial islands to create new EEZs.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 12, 2016, 10:12:40 AM

Are you being serious?

Of course he is serious.  Appeasement will bring Peace in Our Time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

This seems pretty simple to me.

1. China does not want a war, first and foremost. They are almost certainly unwilling to actually fight over any of this.
2. China does want to get absolutely as much as they can without getting into a war.
3. This means that China will keep pushing until such point that they think more pushing will result in shooting.

This is very basic aggressor behavior.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 12, 2016, 09:54:57 AM
A huge mistake.  China should be allowed control of the South China Sea.

Another reason you shouldn't be a Kentucky Colonel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2016, 08:45:06 AM
Awww I wanted to hear what Vietnam and the Philippines thought of the ruling  :(

Doug Llewelyn will catch them out in the hallway before the commercial break.

Malicious Intent

So what consequences will this ruling have in the end? The tribunal can't enforce it. China will ignore it and won't even lose face internally thanks to nationalist pride. Duterte's campaign was partially financed by China, so he will downplay the whole thing and keep it quiet.

Looks like China will just continue to build islands and militarize the shit out of the region.

LaCroix

:yes:

let china have it, but pretend that we care so it doesn't scare southeast asia into thinking the US isn't on their side.

Ancient Demon

Nobody is suggesting the US start a war against China because of this, but there is an opportunity to make China pay a very heavy diplomatic and economic price for it's aggression. China may eventually get all the islands in the SCS, but let it be as costly to them as taking Crimea was for Russia, or even more so.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 12, 2016, 01:03:51 PM
So what consequences will this ruling have in the end? The tribunal can't enforce it. China will ignore it and won't even lose face internally thanks to nationalist pride. Duterte's campaign was partially financed by China, so he will downplay the whole thing and keep it quiet.

that may not actually work. Nationalism you see. The Philippines may be a shithole but I doubt it's people will enjoy being chinese lapdogs. Trying to play it down may thus blow up in his face. And by combining nationalist and Duterte reasoning you may come to the conclusion that by playing it down (assuming he does) he's helping China stealing Philippine 'glory', making him a thief, making it okay to... well, you know :)

Razgovory

I don't see why China stops at these little islands.  Why not claim the Philippines, Indonesia and Australia as well?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

No way. It's time to draw a line in the ocean.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2016, 04:43:08 PM
I don't see why China stops at these little islands.  Why not claim the Philippines, Indonesia and Australia as well?

I would assume that, in the highly unlikely case that they fulfill all of their current territorial ambitions, they will expand their claims.  But expanding their claims that much right now would be counterproductive.  Claim a few small islands?  Nearby countries like The Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc., might each individually decide that those islands aren't worth pissing China off over, and individually agree to abandon their own claims in favor of the Chinese.  But if the Chinese claimed those other countries in their entirety, I don't think any of them would be willing to just roll over and become Chinese provinces, plus it would give them a great deal of incentive to present a united front against China.

Razgovory

I was being sarcastic.  This seems like a classic example of penny wise, pound foolish.  The more China tries to claim some coral reefs hundreds of miles out at sea, the more her neighbors align against her, bringing in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017