Dutch Muslim Students Resist Holocaust Education

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2015, 12:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2015, 12:54:36 PM
The civil rights/gay rights parallel is painfully bad.

It's infinitely better than the Muslims/Holocaust one.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2015, 12:48:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2015, 12:18:19 PM
I once went through a phase where I didn't eat pork. 

What were you punishing yourself for?  :huh:

I was only eating chicken and fish (plus the occasional lean steak).  Happened to be one of the healthiest phases of my life, now that I think of it :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

I dunno.
Christians have always tended to treat Jews better than Pagans.
They were still scum but not quite of the kill them on sight variety. Usually.

I dunno about that. Jew-hatred runs pretty deep and consistent in Christian civilization.

Not sure pagan-hatred can compare - Christians were as likely to try to convert them, as to kill them.

Jews were notoriously resistant to conversion and so subject to the "kill" option, or 'merely' to forced exile (Spain, England) or to internal exile in 'ghettos' (a term coined for Jews!) - subject always to the occasional pogrom, and culminating in the Holocaust.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Technically speaking, the term ghetto was not coined for Jews. :nerd:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

QuoteThe more significant issue is that having similarities does not necessarily breed empathy.

Religious Jews, Muslims and Christians all know they share the same god, but historically it hasn't made them empatize with each other much, exactly - other than that Muslim "people of the book" thing, by which Muslims agree to not kill Jews & Christians who agree to take second-class status.  ;) Not sure sharing food and circumcision rituals would do more for inter-communial empathy than sharing a god.
I dunno.
Christians have always tended to treat Jews better than Pagans.
They were still scum but not quite of the kill them on sight variety. Usually.

Paul's teachings were in large part about adapting Christianity to be more saleable to the Pagans so that they could be more easily converted.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2015, 01:58:15 PM
?

When Jews were granted the right to reside in Venice, they settled near an abandoned ironworks.  Ghetto is Italian for ironworks.

So the word was not coined for Jews.  It already existed.

The Brain

If you don't have discipline in school every little thing becomes a major problem. If students who disrupt classes were punished then this problem would go away.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2015, 02:05:38 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2015, 01:58:15 PM
?

When Jews were granted the right to reside in Venice, they settled near an abandoned ironworks.  Ghetto is Italian for ironworks.

So the word was not coined for Jews.  It already existed.

Not what I read.

I read that the word *may* have derived from a number of possible sources - in fact, no-one knows for sure.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ghetto

Quote1610s, "part of a city in which Jews are compelled to live," especially in Italy, from Italian ghetto "part of a city to which Jews are restricted," of unknown origin. The various theories trace it to: Yiddish get "deed of separation;" a special use of Venetian getto "foundry" (there was one near the site of that city's ghetto in 1516); a clipped form of Egitto "Egypt," from Latin Aegyptus (presumably in memory of the exile); or Italian borghetto "small section of a town" (diminutive of borgo, which is of Germanic origin; see borough)

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2015, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2015, 11:42:48 AM
:lmfao:  I was just speaking of this yesterday with a Jewish holocaust survivor and a Muslim refugee from Yemen. 
Were both of them circumcised?

They both believed that they were.  BTW, is Obama circumcised?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2015, 12:11:17 PM
"Some of my best friends are Jews and Yemeni Muslims"  :rolleyes:

Then you'd know what circumcision was and what kosher and halal meant.  I think you are pulling this shit outta your ass.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2015, 12:13:58 PM
I'm sure this wasn't the case when grumbler sailed over on the Mayflower, but it's actually quite common for Americans of non-Jewish, non-Muslim descent to be circumcised. It's neither a source of shared identity nor something one thinks about every time they piss.

Key word in bold.  We aren't talking about Americans in the Netherlands.  :contract:

Bayraktar!

Ancient Demon

Quote from: The Brain on April 07, 2015, 02:11:17 PM
If you don't have discipline in school every little thing becomes a major problem. If students who disrupt classes were punished then this problem would go away.

I think it has more to do with the ethnicity and religion of the children than school discipline in general. I'd find it hard to believe that white Nazi kids could get away with the same type of thing.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2015, 12:57:22 PM
The civil rights/gay rights parallel is painfully bad.

It's infinitely better than the Muslims/Holocaust one.

really?  You think that gays are more like blacks than antisemitism is like anti-islamism (yeah, technically anti-islamism is largely antisemitic as well so long as the Muslims are Arabs, but I don't think anyone uses antisemitic that way)? 

I disagree.

Bayraktar!