Dutch Muslim Students Resist Holocaust Education

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2015, 12:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I would think that one way to approach the matter would be to draw comparison between the way that Jews were stigmatized in prewar Europe and the way Muslims are currently.

http://forward.com/articles/216119/dutch-muslim-students-resist-holocaust-education/#ixzz3WR7HOE7d

QuoteDutch Muslim Students Resist Holocaust Education

When Teacher 'Says Jews, Pupils Say Gaza'

A number of Dutch schools refrain from teaching about the Holocaust because of resistance from Muslim pupils, teachers told lawmakers.

The centrist Christian Union party held a roundtable discussion about Holocaust education with teachers and other professionals Wednesday in parliament in The Hague, The Algemeen Dagblad daily reported.

"Holocaust survivor Bloeme Evers does not dare give guest lessons in some schools," Arie Slob, the party's parliamentary leader and a former history teacher, told the daily , describing the discussion. "I am horrified by this. It is unacceptable that 70 years after the Holocaust, anti-Semitism in the Netherlands is growing."

Among the teachers in attendance was Wissam Feriani, a social studies teacher who works at a vocational high school in Amsterdam where approximately half of the students are Muslim.

"The teacher says Jews, the pupils say Gaza," said Feriani, who is Muslim. "The teacher says Holocaust, the pupils say it's all bullshit." In class, he adds, "It's always the Jews' fault. Some pupils say they [Jews] don't belong. It's difficult." There are no available figures on the difficulties examined, the report said.

Separately, Dutch police in the North Holland district are investigating a collector of World War II-era memorabilia who advertised on a Dutch website bars of soap that the seller said were made of human fat that Nazis had extracted from Jews murdered in the Holocaust. Forensic scientists sent the soap to be tested for human remains, the De Telegraaf daily reported on Wednesday.

Stories about the mass production of human soap, popular and believed to be credible in the years immediately after the Holocaust, were later debunked by Raul Hilberg, an Austrian historian and expert on the Holocaust, who traced the myth to rumors that circulated among Polish Jews in 1942.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 07, 2015, 12:51:27 AM
I would think that one way to approach the matter would be to draw comparison between the way that Jews were stigmatized in prewar Europe and the way Muslims are currently.

This worked so well in the US when trying to get black people to support gay rights. ;)

garbon

Well punish the "some pupils." I don't recall having right in school to disrupt class / say bigoted things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2015, 01:20:43 AM
Well punish the "some pupils." I don't recall having right in school to disrupt class / say bigoted things.

Yes, there is nothing better to convince teenagers to have the right views as punishing them for voicing the wrong ones.

I am beginning to think your decision not to have kids is evolution in action. ;)

garbon

Yes because clearly the best course of action when students act up is to just let them win the day. Best to just cower and not try to teach them about things that they don't want to hear about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2015, 01:41:26 AM
Yes because clearly the best course of action when students act up is to just let them win the day. Best to just cower and not try to teach them about things that they don't want to hear about.

Good that noone is advocating it then!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2015, 01:37:13 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2015, 01:20:43 AM

Yes, there is nothing better to convince teenagers to have the right views as punishing them for voicing the wrong ones.

I am beginning to think your decision not to have kids is evolution in action. ;)

You are presenting a false dichotomy. 

Plus, you also have chosen (or been impelled by the forces of evolution to choose) not to have kids, correct?  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Actually, D. wants to have kids. I think it's nonsense.

Eddie Teach

"I'm sorry, Dawe, I'm afraid I can't do that."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2015, 06:52:59 AM
Actually, D. wants to have kids. I think it's nonsense.

He just wants the next generation of Poles to be raised by good right thinking people like yourself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Okay, Tim.  You go to the Netherlands and tell these muslim students how they're a lot like Jews.  Just make sure we have your dental records beforehand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall