The Cops Can Pretty Much Always Search Your Smartphone in Canada

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2015, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 11:04:03 AM
As for searching cell phones - especially "requiring passwords" - that seems pretty obnoxious to me. I can see arguments for and against, but I don't like it. Ultimately, I think it's something that should be explicitly legislated - ideally with expert input - rather than interpreted from legislation that date before the concept of "data on smartphones" was even conceived.
I think we could draw a parallel on previous legislations/rules, no?  What were the specific procedures for checking one's camera before smartphones?  Did they ask to check the negatives at customs?  Did they force people to wait while they develop photographs if there was a hint of suspicion? If you had a video camera, could they ask you to show them what you filmed?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on March 09, 2015, 12:38:43 PM
One thing that is very noticeable at international airports is that Americans always take off their shoes for security scans which is typically not required anywhere except in the US.

It's the polite thing to do.  We don't want to dirty the floors :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2015, 12:42:43 PM
One thing that is very noticeable at international airports is that Americans always take off their shoes for security scans which is typically not required anywhere except in the US.

Yeah, one shoe bomber on a US flight ruins it for everybody.

Except it was a Paris-US flight, and the bomber was British.

ANyways, it's just funny to note the discrepancy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2015, 11:43:39 AM
Yeah, my initial impression of Quebec was tainted by rudeness at the border. Of course, later I met someone who told me that he was one of the managers along the border and it sound like they had been unusually dickish. :D

Which I can attest to as never was quite the same on my later visits. :cool:
they probably worried about illegal US immigrants.  It's quite a problem here, people fleeing this oppressive land where Obama is trying to seize all your guns and turn you into a communist haven.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2015, 12:46:01 PM

None of that makes it any less of a "US flight". 

Lawyers. :rolleyes:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2015, 01:09:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2015, 12:46:01 PM

None of that makes it any less of a "US flight". 

Lawyers. :rolleyes:

He has been a real square lately.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

It's ridiculous that you folks' customs agents check your smartphone at the border.  Canadian SIGINT must suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

But we are aorta rolling that back - like when you get sorted to the quick lane.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 09, 2015, 10:03:10 AM
They are asking you those questions because they want to see if you get nervous or flub the answers. This is completely normal "casual" interrogation techniques. The goal isn't to capture every secret agent, it is to just do some very basic spot checking to see if people can answer simple question as needed about what they are doing and where they are going.

I think that your argument is valid up to the point that the immigrations guy goes into flaming asshole mode.  He asks a casual, vague question, gets a casual, vague answer, and movies on.  Unless he is looking to play the asshole, in which case he treats the casual answer to the casual question as an insult.  There is no right answer for an asshole; you just have to complain later and hope his type gets weeded out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Dorsey/AR/DGuller/Ted Bundy strikes me as the type that can flip a cop's "asshole" switch pretty fucking quickly.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2015, 02:40:12 PM
They are asking you those questions because they want to see if you get nervous or flub the answers. This is completely normal "casual" interrogation techniques. The goal isn't to capture every secret agent, it is to just do some very basic spot checking to see if people can answer simple question as needed about what they are doing and where they are going.

I think that your argument is valid up to the point that the immigrations guy goes into flaming asshole mode.  He asks a casual, vague question, gets a casual, vague answer, and movies on.  Unless he is looking to play the asshole, in which case he treats the casual answer to the casual question as an insult.  There is no right answer for an asshole; you just have to complain later and hope his type gets weeded out.

Except AR gave him the right answer - he gave a more detailed answer, and was not chosen for secondary inspection and instead was waived on through.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2015, 02:49:11 PM

Except AR gave him the right answer - he gave a more detailed answer, and was not chosen for secondary inspection and instead was waived on through.

Agreed.  Grumbler's point would have more validity if AR had been sent for a secondary search.   But I do appreciate Grumbler's ability to read so much into AR's story and conclude that the border guard treated AR's answer as an insult.  That is some mighty powerful mindreading right there.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2015, 02:42:29 PM
Dorsey/AR/DGuller/Ted Bundy strikes me as the type that can flip a cop's "asshole" switch pretty fucking quickly.
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2015, 02:49:11 PM

In a sense, yes.  He let the cops play his asshole game, and avoided the bullshit secondary inspection punishment for not playing the game and kissing the guy's ass.  He didn't say anything about complaining, though, and enough people complaining is the only way to get guys like the immigration guy the shitcanning they deserve.

Bayraktar!