News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP Terry Pratchett

Started by Solmyr, March 12, 2015, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Well, to each his own, I guess. He was really one of my favourite authors in adulthood.

Martinus

Goddamn allergies getting to me again.  :cry:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2015, 12:07:15 PM
Well, to each his own, I guess. He was really one of my favourite authors in adulthood.

I think maybe he was also more accessible than the usual author for a non-native-English-speaking reader, so you'd almost inevitably have a different take on him than me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Gups

Haven't read any of his books but he came across as a great bloke.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2015, 12:10:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2015, 12:07:15 PM

I think maybe he was also more accessible than the usual author for a non-native-English-speaking reader, so you'd almost inevitably have a different take on him than me.

Could be it. Could be also that I started to read his books in my teenage years so the world and characters kinda grew with me. I am not saying his books were not "obvious" at times - but they had something that resonated with me, and made me feel good.

Also, to this day I think Granny Weatherwax's definition of evil is the best there is "Evil is when you treat people as things. Including yourself. That's what evil is."

Zanza

mongers

Quote from: Gups on March 12, 2015, 12:30:38 PM
Haven't read any of his books but he came across as a great bloke.

Yes a decent chap, who brought some more humour and enjoyment into a lot of peoples lives.  :cry:

I didn't read a lot of his books, but the ones I did were entertaining and very well craft for their intended purpose.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Didn't read anything by him. Saw some animated TV show. RIP dude.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

My Pratchett bookshelf (admittedly a lot of his newer books I only got on iPad)

Crazy_Ivan80

looks like our Bookshelf.
RIP :(

DontSayBanana

I'm sitting right next to a bookshelf containing each Discworld book, all the way up to Raising Steam, which (after much procrastination) I only finished reading a few hours before hearing this news. :(

To say that my favorite author is gone would be the biggest understatement I've ever said- Discworld has pretty much been my escape ever since I first picked up Men at Arms on a whim- I reread a random Discworld novel every night to fall asleep, and that's been a ritual for me for years now.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Haven't read him for about a decade ago or so, but his books gave me many hours of laughs, entertainment and even the occasional pearl of wisdom. RIP   :(