News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Blood Bowl coming out on the 26th June 2009

Started by Syt, June 17, 2009, 02:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

The league is now ON! It's day one of the first season in the Languish Invitational.

The human side "Horrendous Hussars" and coach Tamas will face of with Jaron's Dwarven super team "The Sons of Thrace".

Elsewhere, Syts human team "Vienna Partisans" are sure to face total obliteration at the hands of "Ratham Rodents". Stay tuned for match reports and post-game commentary.

Syt: How about tomorrow night?

A show game marked the ceremonial opening of the tournament, as the "Manic Street Creatures" got demolished by "Velence Lakers" in a 3-1 beat down. Coach bogh was powerless as his goblins got squished by the lizardmen, while the two trolls of his team spent most of the match trying to fathom where they were.

The game was fastpaced with plenty of mistakes on either side - one goblin armed with a chainsaw started by permanently mangling a big-ass lizard, but left the field on a stretcher shortly afterwards, courtesy of a lizard looking for revenge. Down by two touch-downs, one of the trolls managed to stay focused long enough to hurl a goblin player and the ball downfield, bringing the Manics back in the game.

The final minutes of the game took place on the Manic endline, where the goblins desperately tried to fend of a saurus. Eventually, the saurus managed to pick up the ball, bash the sole remaining goblin and close the game with a last minute score.

katmai

you fuckers are sorely tempting me to purchase this. <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

The Horrendous Hussars defeated the Sons of Thrace 1-0 in what surely to be labelled as a "very tactical game"

The humans started the game, knowing full well how hard it is to grab the ball from the people of coach Jaron, they engaged in a daredevil attack of risky runs and short passes. The first rush having failed, a short brawl ensued for the ball on the humans' left flank in the dwarf half, but the dwarven team was still too streched out and when the ball went out of the sidelines, it got thrown back near one of the human throwers, who managed to grab it and pass it to a lineman waiting in the dwarven endzone.

The rest of the game was characterized by total ball control of the Sons of Thrace, but that tight control also resulted in a very slow attack pace. They ALMOST got to the human endzone, having finally eliminated the defenders enganging in delaying action, but the whistle for half-time ended their progress.

In the second half, no human player touched the ball, but the well-setup dwarven cage was fatally slowed down by what you could call a counter-cage: a web of human players keeping a minimal distance from the advancing dwarfs.

The only notable casuality from the human side was a gauged eyeball, so a lineman will miss the next game.

katmai

Downloading now, team race to be decided (with no experience with the tabletop game and just descriptions from the website leaning towards Chaos or elves)

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on June 30, 2009, 02:38:21 AM
Downloading now, team race to be decided (with no experience with the tabletop game and just descriptions from the website leaning towards Chaos or elves)

chaos needs time to develop I heard, and elves are fragile like Martinus' nerves.

You mentioned lizardmen earlier and I think they are a good noob team, the roles are clear: big guys fight, small ones run with the ball, you don't mix that and you don't try to pass unless thats your one and only last chance to get something out of the game.

Jaron

I'll also give you some advice. Don't take advice from Tamas.

He is the kind of adviser who will do you like this:

"You are very weak on the right. I would recommend you shift some of your defense over."

"Okay, thanks."

"TAMAS GOES LEFT! TOUCHDOWN!"
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on June 30, 2009, 02:42:01 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 30, 2009, 02:38:21 AM

chaos needs time to develop I heard,
Yeah from the description on the website i'd model them off of Seedy's Ravens.

Quote. They rarely, if ever, worry about such minor considerations as picking up the ball and scoring touchdowns. Not while there are any able-bodied players left on the opposing team, anyway.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on June 30, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

"You are very weak on the right. I would recommend you shift some of your defense over."

"Okay, thanks."

:lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on June 30, 2009, 02:43:13 AM

"Okay, thanks."

:lol: It's a lie

Syt

Orks are also supposedly pretty noob-friendly (hard to kill, but not exactly nimble).

Skaven and Goblins are probably better for experienced players.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

bogh

Goblins are much weaker than the other teams (the are the only 2. tier team in the game, but hopefully they'll add haflings in at some point). They are great fun, but don't expect to many wins with them.

Elves and skaven are very vulnerable and require a bit of experience IMO - you need to be very careful about when to put them in harms way and will often be playing with less than 11 players on the field in the second half.

I actually think dwarves are pretty difficult to play right too, as the slow speed makes setup very important and they have to keep pushing forward to make it to the endzone before the whistle blows.

bogh

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2009, 12:51:49 AM
Fine by me. :)

Damn, I need to go help a friend out with his thesis (to be handed in wednesday). I'll see if I can be home by nine, but we'll probably have to reschedule - how's thursday for you?

Syt

Thursday's bad because it's our company summer fest in the evening. How about friday afternoon or tomorrow?
—Stephen Jay Gould