News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Blood Bowl coming out on the 26th June 2009

Started by Syt, June 17, 2009, 02:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: bogh on June 28, 2009, 06:18:03 PM
The medium AI is definitely weak - my skaven kicked first a human team and then a dwarf team 3-0.

Well, my orks are now winnign regularly against the AI on average. Last game the dwarves bought a steamroller mercenary and scored the 1.0 and I still won 2-1 without trying too hard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Tamas

So perhaps we should set up the first Languish tourney with me, Jaron, Syt and bogh? Everyone plays the others once and points are gathered. Would be nice for practicing leauge features and team tactics.

bogh

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2009, 01:54:49 AM
So perhaps we should set up the first Languish tourney with me, Jaron, Syt and bogh? Everyone plays the others once and points are gathered. Would be nice for practicing leauge features and team tactics.

Make it so. I shall be playing something squishy - skaven, elves or goblins.

Tamas

An interesting and apparently controversial topic for MP is fouling and stalling.

Now, the idea that stalling is evil is stupid: it is done in the NFL FFS, and you can only stall if if the opponent lets you / can't neutralize your defense.

As for fouling, I also don't get the bad feelings. Doing it on say turn 15 or 16 at a score where it can't make a difference, sure, its bad.
But otherwise the possible effor-profit ratio is just awesome, and the act is well within the spirit of the game's theme.
So yes, with Jaron getting skilled with his dwarfs, I will stomp out the guts of his runners.

What do you think?

Jaron

I'll stomp the fuck out of your lizards every play of the game.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on June 29, 2009, 03:29:20 AM
I'll stomp the fuck out of your lizards every play of the game.

I think I will concentrate on my humans play for now. 

bogh

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2009, 03:25:20 AM
An interesting and apparently controversial topic for MP is fouling and stalling.

Now, the idea that stalling is evil is stupid: it is done in the NFL FFS, and you can only stall if if the opponent lets you / can't neutralize your defense.

As for fouling, I also don't get the bad feelings. Doing it on say turn 15 or 16 at a score where it can't make a difference, sure, its bad.
But otherwise the possible effor-profit ratio is just awesome, and the act is well within the spirit of the game's theme.
So yes, with Jaron getting skilled with his dwarfs, I will stomp out the guts of his runners.

What do you think?

Heh. That debate has been raging on fumbbl.com for many, many years. Completely stupid - it's in the rulebook, it's in the game. I tend not to foul to much myself, but that's more a function of how and who I play, than any kind of ideological distaste for it.

bogh

BTW:

fumbbl.com has a pretty big collection of strategic advice, good starting rosters and tips on skill selection etc.

http://fumbbl.com/help:Strategy

Some of it is slightly outdated (LRB 4.0 rather than 5.0), but it's 95% applicable.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2009, 03:25:20 AM

A guy from a Vienna BB club I played against yesterday said that stalling is generally frowned upon, but that he does it in important games with close scores. He tries not to do it in non-competitive "just for fun" games.

I also try to avoid unnecessary risky situations near the end of the game. Sure, bashing that runner might be satisfying, but I've run too many "double skulls" to risk it without direct benefit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

bogh

I've created a four team league to try it out - look for Languish Invitational in the league search and then join with a team (the team has to leave the public league first).

Password is "trifora".

The league setup is rather counter-intuitive - I had to search for my own league and apply for it, then approve my own team.

Tamas

Tamas

hey bogh after the network synchro failure at 1-1 i lost the picture. trying to make sure its not my end of the connection, then I relogin

bogh

Yeah, I had black screen, cursor and then a crash....  :(

Made a goblin team in the meantime that I wanna try out!

Syt

I just played against a gobbo team in the German league. My badly assembled ork team (no re-rolls) didn't really have much of a chance against the little pests. I cornered them a couple times nicely, but they just kept running away or blocking my runners with so many gobbos I couldn't get away from them with my clumsy orks. Lost 2-0, but had the satisfaction of hospitalizing two of his cheap vermin.

I created a human team (haven't tried them yet) and applied for the Languish league. Vienna Partisans, made up of the likes of Metternich, Franz Joseph and Mack.
—Stephen Jay Gould