News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on February 22, 2015, 04:47:34 PM
Number two, embellishment is the same fuckin thing than lying. You are lying for either monetary rewards by making yourself more marketable, or to bust your petty ego.

Well he is TV news anchor so I think we all know it is #3.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2015, 09:35:07 PM
Something else that needs to be considered is that Bill O'Reilly is one of the great performances artists of our time. He is basically like Stephen Colbert, only not (overtly) satirical.

Is that it?  Well that makes some sense.  I remember on his radio show he would boldly announce a principled moral stand, only to completely reverse it a few days later when it proved unpopular with his audience.  It was the 'all-pandering zone'.

QuoteWhen I see him on tv while flipping through the channels, I often stop to both be amused by his style and amazed he has turned his bullshit into such a lucrative career. He has something the other partisans on MSNBC and FOX News lack.

I liked him at first because he gives the aura of thinking carefully about his subjects and fairness.  But it doesn't take long to realize that is all style and no substance.  But I applaud him, he indeed sells this better than the other nutcases.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on February 22, 2015, 07:30:29 PM
He was however on a helicopter.  The helicopter getting shot down with him on it is an embellishment.  A helicopter was shot down ahead of him though.

He made up an entire elaborate story about being shot down and rescued out of whole cloth.  That is one hell of an embellishment.

As a fake journalist (aka news "anchor"), Williams' only asset other than his voice and ability to affect serious contemplation on camera, is the appearance of quasi-credibility.  Once that perception is lost, he is done.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Oh man, so many posts since I last checked this thread.

Number one,  Brian Williams is a fufuckin lier and stole valor in the sense he claimed to be in places he wasn't,  and received fire he didn't.

Number two, embellishment is the same fuckin thing than lying. You are lying for either monetary rewards by making yourself more marketable, or to bust your petty ego.

Number three, I love Tim Roth. He is my favor juddenenglese actor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Siege

CountDeMoney

How does a network anchor "steal" valor?  Conversely, how does a network anchor "earn" valor?  How can Siegey still be this drunk during his hungover this late on a Monday AM?

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 23, 2015, 11:22:06 AM
How does a network anchor "steal" valor?  Conversely, how does a network anchor "earn" valor?  How can Siegey still be this drunk during his hungover this late on a Monday AM?

More on the story as it develops.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 08:53:36 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2015, 09:35:07 PM
Something else that needs to be considered is that Bill O'Reilly is one of the great performances artists of our time. He is basically like Stephen Colbert, only not (overtly) satirical.

Is that it?  Well that makes some sense.  I remember on his radio show he would boldly announce a principled moral stand, only to completely reverse it a few days later when it proved unpopular with his audience.  It was the 'all-pandering zone'.

QuoteWhen I see him on tv while flipping through the channels, I often stop to both be amused by his style and amazed he has turned his bullshit into such a lucrative career. He has something the other partisans on MSNBC and FOX News lack.

I liked him at first because he gives the aura of thinking carefully about his subjects and fairness.  But it doesn't take long to realize that is all style and no substance.  But I applaud him, he indeed sells this better than the other nutcases.

I only heard his radio show a few times, but I did note that he was the only conservative talk show host whom I had heard who actually allowed callers and even guests to express opinions contrary to his without getting cheapshotted.  I was actually kind of impressed with how respectfully he treated opposing viewpoints.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2015, 01:50:22 PM
I only heard his radio show a few times, but I did note that he was the only conservative talk show host whom I had heard who actually allowed callers and even guests to express opinions contrary to his without getting cheapshotted.  I was actually kind of impressed with how respectfully he treated opposing viewpoints.

I thought so to at first.  But it depends.  One of my breaking points was when a caller called in and said 'I don't see why we are making such a big deal about gay marriage?  I mean who cares?  Just let them be married.' O'Reilly immediately cut him off (as in dumped the call) and said: 'I am sorry that is just stupid.  That is a stupid statement.  Look at the polls, religion is important to 60% of Americans so gay marriage will never happen.'

I was like...ok then.

Razgovory

Who are you to contradict the the mighty Grumbler?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

What's wrong with gay marriage?
Married people have the right to be gay.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 01:59:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2015, 01:50:22 PM

I thought so to at first.  But it depends.  One of my breaking points was when a caller called in and said 'I don't see why we are making such a big deal about gay marriage?  I mean who cares?  Just let them be married.' O'Reilly immediately cut him off (as in dumped the call) and said: 'I am sorry that is just stupid.  That is a stupid statement.  Look at the polls, religion is important to 60% of Americans so gay marriage will never happen.'

I was like...ok then.
My exposure to him was limited, so I obviously got the wrong impression.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2015, 07:01:48 PM
My exposure to him was limited, so I obviously got the wrong impression.

As I said, he is good at the appearance of thoughtfulness and fairness.