Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

What exactly did he steal?  I mean besides lots of money from NBC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Alcibiades

I think it's kind of being blown out of proportion, and don't really care.  But what ever. 
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

KRonn

If it was only the one instance about the rpg and the 'copter he was in then he'll probably be ok, can come back from it. I would hope so in that case. But if it involves more untrue or exaggerated stories of Williams heroics then I think he'll have done to much damage to himself to be a creditable news anchor. I would think that looking into other possible stories is part of the reason NBC suspended him for as long as they did.

Malthus

He lied about the anecdote, but it is not "stolen valor", since as far as I can see the anecdote he lied about did not contain any claim he actually did anything valorous. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2015, 03:21:53 PM
He lied about the anecdote, but it is not "stolen valor", since as far as I can see the anecdote he lied about did not contain any claim he actually did anything valorous. 

You have to keep in mind that the military thinks being somewhere in the same zip code as live fire is valorous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on February 20, 2015, 03:24:06 PM

You have to keep in mind that the military thinks being somewhere in the same zip code as live fire is valorous.

Uh, no.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

You're picking a nit.  Taking live fire definitely gives a war correspondent street cred.

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 20, 2015, 03:34:07 PM
Uh, no.

I was just trying to figure why stripes claimed Brian Williams stole valor by lying about being shot down.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2015, 03:35:36 PM

You're picking a nit.  Taking live fire definitely gives a war correspondent street cred.

The weird thing is he was sort of close to the helicopter that did get shot down right?  He would have been perfectly fine just saying that.  Seems to me the dude is an egotistical blowhard who cannot help puffing himself up.  No wonder he got the anchor job, he knew how to oversell himself.

Admiral Yi

Martinus

I hope this will finally shut the naysayers who kept saying those who lied about the Iraq war will never be brought to justice.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2015, 03:38:52 PM
He was 35 minutes behind the other copter.

Close enough.  I felt all badass storming Fort Douaumont and it last got shelled 99 years ago.

But seriously he could have spun that just a half hour ago a helicopter was shot down where he was helicoptering about.  He was willing to risk it for the noble journalistic profession blah blah.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 20, 2015, 03:40:11 PM
I hope this will finally shut the naysayers who kept saying those who lied about the Iraq war will never be brought to justice.

:lol: