News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on February 20, 2015, 08:08:39 PM
What decorations is he claiming with the intention of obtaining money, property, or other tangible benefit make this a stolen valor issue?

Agreed.  This isn't stolen valor, it is ordinary fraudulence.  Dorsey used to do this thee times a week right on this channel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I guess I should be honest.  I've filched a bit of Siege's valor and have been siphoning off a little of Funkmonk's honor for the last six years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Sophie Scholl

O'Reilly's attack on Williams after embellishing and lying about his own efforts in "warzones"?  I totally agree. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 22, 2015, 01:41:54 AM
O'Reilly's attack on Williams after embellishing and lying about his own efforts in "warzones"?  I totally agree. :)

There is a difference between "embellishing" and "lying."  O'Reilly did the former, Williams the latter.  If you think that they are the same thing, then naturally you think the actions of the men were equivalent.  I think you find that equivalence road pretty sterile, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 10:21:18 PM
I guess I should be honest.  I've filched a bit of Siege's valor and have been siphoning off a little of Funkmonk's honor for the last six years.

That's ok, both have quite a bit to spare. :)

Darth Wagtaros

Marty's been guzzling Lusti's honor for years.
PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

That meant that the new hyperBase12 missiles could travel 2.341x as fast as the previous NegasXLR, when launched from a superdreadnaught's external missile pods.........
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 22, 2015, 09:59:11 AM
That series has gone downhill fast.
I'd argue that it was decent for six books, which is about four books better than any other series he wrote.

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 22, 2015, 01:41:54 AM
From what I've seen O'Reilly talk about as on the Jimmy Kimmel show, he hasn't trashed Williams and said that people should be very careful about going after him. Something like that and is a far cry from people who have been gleefully trashing Williams.

He also addressed the Mother Jones report as mostly inaccurate, and had documents from the time there to try and back up what he said, but I really have no idea either way if he did embellish something about his Falklands reporting. He certainly doesn't seem to have done something on the level of what Williams did.