News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stolen Valor: The Megathread

Started by Siege, February 20, 2015, 02:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

I suppose my comments and view would make more sense if you read the articles.  Oh well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

I read your links and thought they were silly.  That Brian Williams seriously fucked up is not a loony right view, it's one that NBC agreed with and I expect most people agree with.  To try to turn this into an indictment of O'Reilly for using "combat zone" to refer to Argentina is more a reflection on the obsessive hatred of Fox/O'Reilly and the knee-jerk defensiveness about errors committed by "our side" prevalent in the progressive media than it is anything else.

Sophie Scholl

I wasn't aware I was defending Williams.  I was simply trying to say it isn't a problem limited to him, and for some of his colleagues in the industry to throw barbed comments and indictments his way when they're as guilty or nearly as guilty as he is rubs me the wrong way.  Please feel free to continue constructing my supposed argument to fight against though. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Siege

Oh man, so many posts since I last checked this thread.
Number one,  Brian Williams is a fufuckin lier and stole valor in the sense he claimed to be in places he wasn't,  and received fire he didn't.
Number two, embellishment is the same fuckin thing than lying. You are lying for either monetary rewards by making yourself more marketable, or to bust your petty ego.
Number three, I love Tim Roth. He is my favor juddenenglese actor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

KRonn

The part that O'Reilly may have to explain is how he was in a war zone during the Falklands. He was in Buenos Aires and he and his crew did get caught up in rioting with the army and rioters shooting and were in danger, but I don't see that as a war zone. So that seems to be an exaggeration to me. But NBC is all over what Williams did and I think he has other cases they're looking into which warranted the six months suspension. I don't think Fox has issues (yet?) with O'Reilly and what he said may have been taken out of context, as they were in danger, just seems to be misleading statements by O'Reilly if the MJ quotes are accurate. We'll see though if it rises to a greater level of if Fox has to do something.

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 22, 2015, 03:14:53 PM
I suppose my comments and view would make more sense if you read the articles.  Oh well.

Nope.  I read them, and your comments and view still didn't make sense.  Oh, well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

You expect a native New Yorker who roots for the Cleveland Indians to make sense?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 22, 2015, 04:51:52 PM
The part that O'Reilly may have to explain is how he was in a war zone during the Falklands. He was in Buenos Aires and he and his crew did get caught up in rioting with the army and rioters shooting and were in danger, but I don't see that as a war zone. So that seems to be an exaggeration to me. But NBC is all over what Williams did and I think he has other cases they're looking into which warranted the six months suspension. I don't think Fox has issues (yet?) with O'Reilly and what he said may have been taken out of context, as they were in danger, just seems to be misleading statements by O'Reilly if the MJ quotes are accurate. We'll see though if it rises to a greater level of if Fox has to do something.

Yep.  His lumping his Falklands Crisis in with his "war zone" experiences is clearly an example of embellishment.  That's a far cry from claiming claiming to be on a helicopter that was shot down, which is an outright falsehood.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

He was however on a helicopter.  The helicopter getting shot down with him on it is an embellishment.  A helicopter was shot down ahead of him though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

And "I did not fuck Monica Lewinksy" is just an embellishment too, because there were other women that he didn't fuck.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I just saw on CNN one reporter who was there at the same time as O'Reilly, with the same company, refute some of what O'Reilly said about the riot being so dangerous. He felt O'Reilly embellished what went on at the riot, that it wasn't that bad and about the crew being in trouble, but he wasn't in the same place during the riot. Plus some other minor stuff so Bill may have more explaining to do, but I only heard the other guy and not Bill's response so we'll see what goes on. I still don't think it should be that big a deal and O'Reilly is a big boy so can fight his own battles.

I guess the point is that some reporters embellish things to make them look better or that they had to go through some tough times. However, when they get to the point about making the story about them and not the story they're covering then they probably have screwed up as reporters/journalists.

alfred russel

Something else that needs to be considered is that Bill O'Reilly is one of the great performances artists of our time. He is basically like Stephen Colbert, only not (overtly) satirical.

When I see him on tv while flipping through the channels, I often stop to both be amused by his style and amazed he has turned his bullshit into such a lucrative career. He has something the other partisans on MSNBC and FOX News lack.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2015, 09:35:07 PM
Something else that needs to be considered is that Bill O'Reilly is one of the great performances artists of our time. He is basically like Stephen Colbert, only not (overtly) satirical.

:mellow:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2015, 10:43:42 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 22, 2015, 09:59:11 AM
That series has gone downhill fast.
I'd argue that it was decent for six books, which is about four books better than any other series he wrote.
He wrote some vampire alien invasion book a few years ago that was garbage of teh sort that doesn't even make for 'trashy fun reading'.  I think he is heading towards Harry Turtledove territory.
PDH!