News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

so my dad just had a heart attack

Started by Razgovory, February 16, 2015, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

:hug:

I'm sorry, Raz. No matter how prepared you are, it still sucks.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

ulmont

I'm sorry, Raz.  That's painful.   :(

Razgovory

We got a call about two days ago that my dad was on his last leg, he was only being kept alive by Dopamine and that we would "need to make a very hard decision soon".  The only time we could see the doctor was at 5 A.M , so we showed up there this morning.  We were a bit surprised to see my dad sitting up doing fine (we were told he hasn't been awake in days), and the doctor tells him and us that he doesn't have much longer.  Maybe a minute, maybe a year. <_<  I could have kicked her ass up and down the ICU.  I hate doctors.  He's still in critical condition, so I don't know what to think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

:( Yeah doctors can be real jerks, I guess it comes with growing insensitive to what they witness all the time. Recently, two different doctors told my mom that the kidney results show that her mother should already be dead. Great comfort!

But it sounds like your dad is putting up a tough fight. Shows a resilience he and you can be proud of.

There isn't much for you to do or think but to help him with this as much as possible, I guess. If he is indeed feeling better (considering the circumstances) maybe it is the time to raise the subject of what to do when the "very hard decision" referred by the doctors comes around for real? And just respect his choice.

dps

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2018, 12:10:40 PM
If he is indeed feeling better (considering the circumstances) maybe it is the time to raise the subject of what to do when the "very hard decision" referred by the doctors comes around for real? And just respect his choice.

Well, Raz's mom did already sign a DNR form, so I think we can figure out what his father's wishes are.

Razgovory

Well, I got an idea of an endgame now. Sometime next week they are going to take him off the medications he's on.  If he survives, he will come home to die.  We are thinking of having the funeral in St. Louis where most of my family is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Sorry to hear this Raz, my condolences. :(

Drakken

I am so sorry Raz. My deepest condolences.

merithyn

Conjestive heart failure is fun like that. My dad lived a solid five years after his expiration date was given. A nightmare five years for all of us.

Thinking of you,  Raz.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

My father died today.  The hospital called me and said that he didn't have much time left, so I called up my immediate family (my sister had come down the day before), and we sat there watched has expired.  God, that was gruesome.